PDA

View Full Version : Doctor says I have an Ulcer... Should I be scared?

LiamRoseic
09-06-16, 11:23
My stomach was hurting pretty bad for a few days and yesterday I noticed that my stool was black. I went to the hospital and they did a few tests and said I have an ulcer that was bleeding. They said I shouldn't be worried and to take Prilosec which I started today. My BP last I took was 115 over 64 but it's been as low as 92/61 today. It went really low, like 82 over 51 and I did feel dizzy but it went back up... This is all in the past hour.. I also feel light headed and my vision is funny... It's really bright like there are white swirls and everything seems more vivid but dense. I'm worried... My blood count was in the safe zone yesterday but what if it's gotten worse? At what point should I go in?

---------- Post added 09-06-16 at 03:23 ---------- Previous post was 08-06-16 at 23:48 ----------

Anyone?

AnxiousUK
09-06-16, 14:12
If you're seeing swirls and getting distorted vision I'd personally go back to the doctor and to an opticians.

LiamRoseic
10-06-16, 11:33
Well should I go to the hospital? It hasn't gone as low as 82/50 for awhile.. It has gone as low as 92/63 though... I'm just wondering what is too low.

---------- Post added at 03:30 ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 ----------

It usually around 102/69.

---------- Post added at 03:33 ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 ----------

It was just 94/69

Fishmanpa
10-06-16, 12:41
Is there a reason you're self checking your BP? Is this doctor's orders to do so?
If not, you're just feeding your anxiety. Home use BP machines can be notoriously inaccurate and improper use and prep protocols may not be in place. I have to take mine per doctors orders and keep a spreadsheet. I do it once a day, same approximate time and have to be sitting quietly for at least 10 minutes before doing so per the machine instructions.

What's "normal" and what's "normal for you" can be different person to person. If you're not feeling terribly ill, I wouldn't concern yourself.

Positive thoughts

LiamRoseic
10-06-16, 13:28
Is there a reason you're self checking your BP? Is this doctor's orders to do so?
If not, you're just feeding your anxiety. Home use BP machines can be notoriously inaccurate and improper use and prep protocols may not be in place. I have to take mine per doctors orders and keep a spreadsheet. I do it once a day, same approximate time and have to be sitting quietly for at least 10 minutes before doing so per the machine instructions.

What's "normal" and what's "normal for you" can be different person to person. If you're not feeling terribly ill, I wouldn't concern yourself.

Positive thoughts

I have an ulcer that was or is bleeding so I need to monitor my blood pressure.. I was told to do so but wasn't really given precise instructions as it was at an ER. I have an appointment with my doctor today though. I do know that my blood pressure has been steadily going down for the past week and now that I know I have a bleeding ulcer, I figure that's why. The machine that I have has excellent reviews and when compared to the ER, it was almost exact. I have also done research on how to accurately sit and overall research on how take my blood pressure. I'm sorry if any of this comes off as rude, I'm just worried.

pulisa
10-06-16, 13:35
If you have an actively bleeding ulcer then your BP would drop and your stools would be tarry black. It's good that you have a doctor's appointment because you need to be reviewed. Hopefully the PPI will be helping to heal the ulcer but it's best to get things checked out. Good luck!

LiamRoseic
10-06-16, 14:17
If you have an actively bleeding ulcer then your BP would drop and your stools would be tarry black. It's good that you have a doctor's appointment because you need to be reviewed. Hopefully the PPI will be helping to heal the ulcer but it's best to get things checked out. Good luck!

My stools have been black and tarry and I've been on Prilosec for two days now... My last two bowls were considerably lighter but from what it looks like, my bp hasn't gotten better.. If anything it's gotten worse.

Fishmanpa
10-06-16, 14:23
It's good that you're seeing your doctor today. You'll get a better picture of what's going on and what you need to do. An ulcer is aggravated by stress so taking care of the anxiety would help as well. Good luck at the doctor!

Positive thoughts

LiamRoseic
11-06-16, 11:53
So, of course they have to cancel and change the appointment on me...

92/57 and 87/65 were two out of the three reading I took today... I'm scared and worried. My stool is no longer black though so why is my BP still low?

44wise
11-06-16, 14:30
Hey Liam, hang in there and go see the doctor at the new time. No one can really give you an answer on the BP here because we are not doctors. If it really worries you then go to emergency. The thing I find about my anxiety is that I look for reassurances in the wrong places.....like the internet where you will only fuel for your fear. A doctor is the only sure answer.