PDA

View Full Version : Next Tuesday!!!!!

kazzie
14-03-07, 23:21
Hi Guys

Bit of an odd one here i guess but.........

As some of you may know I have diabetic neuropathy which means my feet and bottom of my legs are totally numb and have no feeling!!!!

Its my hubbys birthday on Tuesday and we are going to Exbury gardens for the day but ive just been awarded a blue badge so I am now disabled so we are going to get a wheelchair so we can go all round the gardens!!!!

The dilemma I have is I can still walk but no distance and I feel a fraud sitting in a wheelchair and I dont want to be disabled!!!!

Dunno point in this post but has anyone else overcome the wheelchair thing and will i be ok????

Luv Kaz x x x

Karen
15-03-07, 01:58
Hi Kazzie

I don't have any personal experience and I'm sorry to learn you face these difficulties.

One thought about Tuesday. Could you take the wheelchair you are entitled to just in case you need it. Perhaps you could walk a bit if you feel upto it but have the wheelchair as a back-up and if you need to rest.

You are certainly not a fraud. People do not get awarded a blue badge for nothing.

I hope you have a good day whatever you decide to do :hugs:

Karen xx

Piglet
15-03-07, 09:56
Kazzie hun you go and enjoy your day using whatever methods make that happen.:D

I suppose it is caring too much about what other people think of us again (I'm working on this one too). It doesn't matter what other people think and you have to justify yourself to no-one. I would take the wheelchair and use it as much and as little as is right for you.

Oh and tell us all about it when you've been - I would love to go sometime, right up my street! :D

Piglet :flowers:

jo61
15-03-07, 10:05
I agree with Piglet and Karen. Take the support and if you don't need it you can push it around. Enjoy the day. Hopefully the weather will be like this week.

rosebud
15-03-07, 10:24
Hi Kazzie

Don't worry about it. If it helps you get around easier so much the better.
Hope you and your Hubby have a lovely day.
Take care
Traceyxxx:)

Slothette
15-03-07, 13:49
Hi Kazzie
Think about the lovely things you will see when you go to the gardens and try to focus on having a lovely day. I agree with the others in that if you take the wheel chair with you, you can use it when you need to.
Hope the day goes well for you both.
Lexxie xxx

Paddington
15-03-07, 13:58
Hi Kazzie hun.Ididn't know you suffered with this ,no.But it is always hard when our physicality is changed.We have been our old self for all our lives then some ruddy condition changes our perception of ourselves:mad: I have lymphoedema in my legs,i dont need a wheel chair hun but oh at times i wish i had one:) So,as the others said take it use it as and whan you need to.Try not to worry about how others perceive you,just enjoy the day:) Have a wonderful time.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

mirry
15-03-07, 16:21
I do home help in the week and go to a man aged 40 whos in a wheel chair,

he used to be like you saying he felt a fraud cos he could walk a little but he over came this, and now he uses it all the time.

I really wouldnt worry what people think, all that matters is your comfortable.

Freaky Chick
15-03-07, 19:05
Hi Kazzie

I agree with all the others honey - you are no-where near a fraud. Take the chair, and put your picnic bag or shopping in it, and use it to help you walk by pushing it. Then if you get tired, sit in it and rest for a while. When you feel better walk again.

My dad has a similar feeling to you, he feels he should try and walk because he can, but he has to stop every few feet and catch his breath. I finally managed to persuade him to sit in one, got out and walked a bit, then got back in when he was tired and he enjoyed the day a lot more; and we got almost all the way around the museum we were in, which we wouldn't have got 1/4 of the way round if he'd tried to walk.

I also have a friend who is diabled since birth, and when she feels well, she won't use her chair or even a disabled space. But when she is unwell, she can't manage without - so you do what is going to help you enjoy your day the most.

After all, i know it isn't as visible as a wheelchair, but we all need support in some way or another. I need people to help me shop and to go to new places with me, like meeting my manager today, i couldn't have done it without my friend to support me - so take what support you need.

Hope this helps. I really hope you enjoy your day out, it sounds really nice.

Love and Hugs

Freaky chick.
x:hugs:

kazzie
15-03-07, 21:39
Thanks all of you!!!!

Great idea to push it some of the way!!!!! Never occured to me to do that lol!!!

I will let you know what its like piglet!!!!

Thanks again and:hugs: to you all x

Luv Kaz x x x

nomorepanic
15-03-07, 22:22
Kazz

Make the most of it - sit down and let them push you around!

If you feel bad then do walk as well but good luck whatever u decide.

Do you know the benefits of having that blue badge??? You can be first in the queue at Tesco for the pringles cos you get the best parking space.

Sorry to make light of it but I think you know I am kidding ok?

carldourish
15-03-07, 22:28
Kazzie,

I agree with all the others. However I must tell you the story of my wife. She suffered from Gullian-Barr Syndrome 3 years ago. This is a nasty condition whereupon your own immune system starts to attack your own nervous system. Within 8 weeks my wife, who was super fit, was unlucky that the syndrome started to attack the nerves in her hands, then her legs. She ended up in a wheelchair. But the moral of the story, is. My son and I was pushing the wheelchair around our local town, but we needed to go into a shop that had no access for wheelchair. So we decided to leave her outside. When we returned she mentioned she made £2.80 just by sitting in the wheelchair outside the shop. We all rolled up laughing. However that was her motivation to get out of the chair, because she felt she was too young to be confined. Only 28 at the time.

So if you need the chair, then just sit in it. Enjoy yourself.

Carl

kazzie
15-03-07, 23:10
LOL NIC!!!!

That made me laff thanks mate xx

Carl..... small world eh???? my cousin had gb some years ago weeks in intensive care and nearly killed him!!!!

So sorry to hear about your wife.....did she ever regain the ability to walk???

My cousin did but with 2 crutches and a built up shoe!!!!

Thanks again all of you:hugs:

Luv Kaz x x x

yorkylover
15-03-07, 23:46
Hi Kazz,try not to worry about it,enjoy the day.Its there if you need it.:)
my other halfs mum has to use a wheel chair when she goes out,she can walk with a stick, but only short distances.She always uses it in the supermarkets.Try not to worry what people think pet.:hugs: :hugs:

kazzie
16-03-07, 00:02
Thanks Ellen:hugs:

Luv Kaz x x x

kazzie
19-03-07, 22:33
Well next Tuesday is now tommorow!!!!!

Having made my mind up with all your advice that I was going to do this it seems the weather may not be any good......still intent to go as long as its not pants!!!!:yesyes:

Will let you all know how it goes and thanks again x x x:hugs:

Luv Kaz x x x

Karen
20-03-07, 00:54
Good for you Kazzie :)

I hope the weather is ok for you and you enjoy the day :hugs:

Karen xx

Quirky
20-03-07, 02:01
Hi Kazzie,

Sorry I must have missed this post before.

I can understand your wheelchair concerns but I agree with the others, use it if you need to or push it some of the way even and lean on it for support.
If I remember rightly Exbury gardens has a little train that goes round part of it too so maybe even have a ride round on that, especially if the weather is bad.

Whatever you decide to do hope you have a lovely day.

Lisa x

Karen
20-03-07, 08:47
Hi Kazzie

I hope the weather is better where you are than it is here - we have snow showers at the moment :ohmy:

Hope you enjoy the day and I can't wait to hear about it. Have a lovely time - and wrap up warm! :)

Karen xx

jo61
20-03-07, 08:49
Yes Kazzie, hope the day out is great. Report back in detail!!

kazzie
20-03-07, 20:58
Thank you all sooooooo much:hugs:

Well the weather was ok but it was cold!!!

Exbury was very pretty but piglet if you are going to consider a trip there id give it a few weeks till all the blooms are fully open!!!!

And the wheelchair.......

IT WAS FAB!!!!!:yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes:

Me and him had the best fun we have had in years people were fine no one stared and thought well she looks ok so why the chair!!!!

It made me realise how much of life we had been missing cos I refused to apply for a blue badge and use a wheelchair!!!!

Im going to buy myself one and spray it pink and customise it with stickers etc!!!!!:yesyes:

Piglet
20-03-07, 21:01
:yesyes: Oh Kaz - well done on a lovely day out hun :hugs:

Piglet :flowers:

nomorepanic
20-03-07, 21:02
Kazz

Glad you had a good day out - even though it was so cold here and snowing.

Well done! :hugs:

kazzie
20-03-07, 22:18
Thanks Piglet and Nic!!!!!:hugs:

Today just made me realise how silly ive been:wistupid:

I feel really good tonight but now wonder if all my agraphobia is caused by fear of falling over:shrug:

I dunno but had fun anyhow!!!!!!:yesyes:

Take care both

Luv Kaz x x x :hugs:

Quirky
20-03-07, 22:44
Aww glad you had a lovely day and well done for using the chair, proud of you :D :hugs:

Lisa x

yorkylover
20-03-07, 22:50
Well Done Kazz:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Karen
21-03-07, 04:15
Massive well done Kazzie :yesyes: You did brilliantly. I am so glad you had such a good time.

I love the idea of a pink coloured wheelchair :) :winks:

Karen xx

kazzie
21-03-07, 21:15
Thanks Lisa Ellen and Karen:hugs:

Luv Kaz x x x

trac67
21-03-07, 21:23
Sooo pleased you had a good time matey :D

Now dont forget those wing mirrors and tassles on the wheelchair lol

Love

Trac xxxx