PDA

View Full Version : Sore muscles, neck, jaw etc

Mojo61
10-06-16, 08:34
I'm in agony! My neck, shoulders, arms and jaw are constantly aching now and it is so painful. I try to relax these muscle groups but as soon as I forget to do it I'm clenching them again. What's all this about and does it go away eventually?

MyNameIsTerry
10-06-16, 09:03
And I bet it is seriously getting you down? I remember having plenty of that. I had 6 months of Bruxism when starting my current med, but it wasn't always bad during that time.

With your jaw there is an exercise my dentist gave me. I'm forever typing it up so I'll find one of the threads and link it shortly to save time. There will also be a link to a trigger point massage book in there that will help with the jaw and the rest, although I have created a thread for this if you look on my threads (I rarely raise any).

Have you thought of having a long soak? Perhaps in something relaxing like a magnesium flakes bath? Magnesium chloride is better for that but even Epsom salts can help and others on here have said it was relaxing for them. Magnesium is a calming mineral, it helps in a lot of things, anxiety included.

Muscular tension should go as you work on your recovery, and get more relaxation exercises in there too, but if it doesn't it could be the meds.

Have you tried Progressive Muscle Relaxation (PMR)? It's a very old technique from the 1920's but therapists still give out the worksheets. The worksheets are easy enough to pull up from a Google search.

---------- Post added at 09:00 ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 ----------

Trigger point massage book thread:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=169782

---------- Post added at 09:03 ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 ----------

Post #2 for the exercise from my dentist:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=166483&highlight=bruxism

It did help. I found it only got it down to a certain level though and in the end a combination of doing this and taking a couple of paracetamol before bed resolved it.

The coordinator at the charity walk-ins said he had it. He found sleeping with his little finger in his mouth resolved his!

Mojo61
10-06-16, 20:41
Thank you so much Terry. As usual you have gone way and beyond the call of duty to help and it is appreciated very much. You are an angel!