PDA

View Full Version : Think I swallowed bit of alloyed metal?

eastofeden
10-06-16, 23:10
I have a perfume bottle with a gold coloured metal decanter on it. It's a very heavy metal decanter. A little bit of the plating came off and I think I may have have swallowed/inhaled it. Don't ask how, it was accidental. It's not a well known perfume, and I can't find any details on what the bottle's made of, but it's probably made in China.

I'm worried cause I've heard dangerous metals like cadmium or chromium are often used in plating metal jewelry/bottles etc, and I'm scared I'm going to get cadmium or lead poisoning from it.

It was a tiny fleck, like half the size of a grain of rice, but I'm still scared and feel like an idiot.

J-P
11-06-16, 02:57
I have a perfume bottle with a gold coloured metal decanter on it. It's a very heavy metal decanter. A little bit of the plating came off and I think I may have have swallowed/inhaled it. Don't ask how, it was accidental. It's not a well known perfume, and I can't find any details on what the bottle's made of, but it's probably made in China.

I'm worried cause I've heard dangerous metals like cadmium or chromium are often used in plating metal jewelry/bottles etc, and I'm scared I'm going to get cadmium or lead poisoning from it.

It was a tiny fleck, like half the size of a grain of rice, but I'm still scared and feel like an idiot.

Saw a news segment covering the gold rush in Colombia, the guys are pretty much bathing in mercury daily for work and the mercury even went into the rivers/lakes. The tiny metal will pass, such tiny amounts won't harm you.

eastofeden
11-06-16, 05:36
Hahaha! I never thought about that. I feel a bit more relaxed now. Thank you.