PDA

View Full Version : Panic Attacks getting worse

little kyle
11-06-16, 12:56
After a traumatic event some years ago while playing football I thought I was having an asthma attack which scared the living out of me.

But to be told when ambulance crew got there it was nothing related to asthma. For likely a panic attack.

But still when I feel I'm not breathing correctly I automatically think of the experience that I thought it was asthma while playing football.

Everytime I have a panic attack it always feels different never the same.

I don't know what to do anymore it's taking over my life of who I am.

Please any advice anything at all please share you knowledge

Thank you

44wise
11-06-16, 14:08
Here's the thing Kyle, we need to get help to break the pattern. I suffered for years before getting CBT and finally meds. I thought meds were giving in but the combo with CBT has allowed me to know triggers and avoid them or manage things when they start.. I also needed to learn to sleep because fatigue was my worse enemy. There is no silver bullet but with some work you can feel normal. In fact coming here for me and reading and commenting is part of my therapy. It puts my fears into perspective and gives me a positive channel. Therapy for me is not monthly etc. I went a couple of times and learned techniques, since then I go back maybe three or four times a year. I was convinced I couldn't afford it but once I went once I knew I couldn't afford not to. But you have to be ready to work at it. From a sufferers side, my amateur view is your case is perfect for cbt. My initial trigger was palpitations, I have a natural benign pvc - heavy heartbeat not dangerous (feels like your heart forgot to beat). When I felt it once, I got anxious and guess what I had more and was in hospital thinking I was dying. Turned out I had my first real panic attack. Now I know anxiety makes it worse and I have techniques to manage my feelings when I get that skip.
Anyway, a bit of a rambling note but your post reminded me of my feelings nearly 12 years ago when this started - don't wait as long as I did to get help, you don't need to suffer. Cheers