PDA

View Full Version : Help! Not sure if I had a panic attack

sunflower7
11-06-16, 19:11
I posted earlier about my muscles feeling weak so I've been worrying about it and tonight when eating my tea I got a weird feeling like I didn't have any power in my left hand so I squeezed my Husbands hand and he said it was fine but I could feel myself getting panicky about it and had a small pain in my chest for a few seconds and my hands were clammy. My Husband left the room for a minute and I was sitting at the table with my son and I could feel myself drifting off in a daydream then it was like I snapped back and immediately panicked as thought I had a seizure as I can't remember what happened for a few seconds, I'm so scared it was a seizure as my panic attacks I've always remembered everything. Does this sound like a seizure? I thought the panic attacks were under control now so I'm scared why this happened out of the blue. Please can anyone help me?

Victory2016
11-06-16, 19:24
It does not sound like a seizure! You had a panic attack. How far along are you with the Cit and what mg are you on?

Also what kind of tea were you drinking? Be careful with herbal tea's as some can interact with meds or actually detox your meds.

sunflower7
11-06-16, 19:44
Thanks for your help. I was eating my dinner (we call dinner tea in Scotland!). It's the feeling weak in my left arm only and not being able to remember what I was doing that worries me. Like I was in a day dream. I've also had de ja Vu about 3 times today, I'm scared now. Does it sound like a panic attack? Can panic attacks change and feel different? Feel as if I'm back to square one now and worried about siezures ��. I took my blood pressure and it had dropped a bit rather than gone up. I read that blood pressure drops during a seizure and not panic attacks as it usually rises. I've been really anxious last few days worrying about rashes and muscle weakness plus not slept right for a few nights.

---------- Post added at 19:44 ---------- Previous post was at 19:43 ----------

I'm on 20mg and have been on Cit for 3 1/2 weeks (first week was on 10mg).

Victory2016
11-06-16, 20:32
Thanks for your help. I was eating my dinner (we call dinner tea in Scotland!). It's the feeling weak in my left arm only and not being able to remember what I was doing that worries me. Like I was in a day dream. I've also had de ja Vu about 3 times today, I'm scared now. Does it sound like a panic attack? Can panic attacks change and feel different? Feel as if I'm back to square one now and worried about siezures ��. I took my blood pressure and it had dropped a bit rather than gone up. I read that blood pressure drops during a seizure and not panic attacks as it usually rises. I've been really anxious last few days worrying about rashes and muscle weakness plus not slept right for a few nights.

---------- Post added at 19:44 ---------- Previous post was at 19:43 ----------

I'm on 20mg and have been on Cit for 3 1/2 weeks (first week was on 10mg).

When I first started having panic attacks i was basically having them 24/7 and I had every symptom you can think of. Maybe you were feeling like you were going to pass out from the panic. Don't stress or worry about it. I know that is easier said then done, but you are still in the early days of the Cit, so in time the panic attacks will go away. Did your doctor give you any Benzo's or Beta Blocker to help with the panic attacks. If not I would call and ask. I take Klonopin, but I take it on a daily basis.

Also not sleeping can make you feel a mess. Again I would ask for a benzo or something to help you sleep from your doctor until it starts kicking in. Then you can stop taking them.

I use to have very high blood pressure due to my thyroid, stress and anxiety. However I don't have to take the blood pressure meds now that I am on the Cit as it keeps it lower, so that maybe why your blood pressure did not rise.

You will be ok! Just keep telling yourself that. They are only thoughts and they will not harm you. I always go for a walk and that makes me feel better. :bighug1:

sunflower7
11-06-16, 20:37
Thanks for your help. I didn't feel like I was going to pass out I just went blank for a few seconds but before it I was worrying about my hand feeling weak and just kept telling ,yield it would pass and it escalated. I'm trying to be rational but it's so hard as the panic was different and I always thought panic attacks would follow the same pattern. I suppose it's all the worry about my muscles that have triggered it. I have extreme health anxiety and have been googling for days. I really thought I had turned a corner. Thanks for your help. I hope you are feeling ok x

---------- Post added at 20:37 ---------- Previous post was at 20:36 ----------

I've for some diazepam but not taken any for about a week x

Victory2016
11-06-16, 20:50
The panic attacks will feel different now that you are on the cit. Right now i feel like they try to push through, but don't actually make it into a full blown panic attack. The first three weeks or so my panic was so bad and i was so jittery that I could not sit still. I had to go drive my car for hours to keep myself and my mind occupied. It was the only way for me to get through the days. Strange, but it helped lol

What you are feeling is normal right now. If you read some of the previous post you will see that myself and a few other are dealing with muscle pain/stiffness and weakness, so we are right there with you. Its just the side effects of the meds and it will pass.

Go take some of the diazepam to calm yourself to get through the rest of the evening. Don't be afraid to take it. If it helps you get through the days then take it. Don't make yourself suffer anymore then you have too. Feel better!!!!

---------- Post added at 19:50 ---------- Previous post was at 19:47 ----------

The panic attacks will feel different now that you are on the cit. Right now i feel like they try to push through, but don't actually make it into a full blown panic attack. The first three weeks or so my panic was so bad and i was so jittery that I could not sit still. I had to go drive my car for hours to keep myself and my mind occupied. It was the only way for me to get through the days. Strange, but it helped lol

What you are feeling is normal right now. If you read some of the previous post you will see that myself and a few other are dealing with muscle pain/stiffness and weakness, so we are right there with you. Its just the side effects of the meds and it will pass.

Go take some of the diazepam to calm yourself to get through the rest of the evening. Don't be afraid to take it. If it helps you get through the days then take it. Don't make yourself suffer anymore then you have too. Feel better!!!!

Ohhh and stop googling lol!!! I do the same, but your are going to make yourself nuts. If you have to tell your husband to take your computer away from you or only allow you to use it for an hour or so a day. I had my dad take my computer away from me for a while.

sunflower7
11-06-16, 20:54
Thanks so much for your help. I was so scared it was a seizure. I usually say when I start to not feel well but I tried to fight it and stayed quiet so maybe that's why it escalated? I know I need to keep of Google. One of my eyelids has gone darker and that's a symptom of the muscle disease so I've put that together with the muscle symptoms and convinced I have it plus I've been more sensitive to the sun and that can be an auto immune reaction but it could be the tablets causing that. I was getting calf cramps before the Cit but nothing like I'm getting now. Do you really think it's possible to get more symptoms of a disease that your scared you have? I really appreciate your help. X

Victory2016
11-06-16, 21:36
Thanks so much for your help. I was so scared it was a seizure. I usually say when I start to not feel well but I tried to fight it and stayed quiet so maybe that's why it escalated? I know I need to keep of Google. One of my eyelids has gone darker and that's a symptom of the muscle disease so I've put that together with the muscle symptoms and convinced I have it plus I've been more sensitive to the sun and that can be an auto immune reaction but it could be the tablets causing that. I was getting calf cramps before the Cit but nothing like I'm getting now. Do you really think it's possible to get more symptoms of a disease that your scared you have? I really appreciate your help. X

Your welcome! That is what we are here for to help support each other.

When I first started having panic/anxiety/depression I got tested for everything you can think of. I swore something else was causing all my symptoms. My doctor was really good and did any test I asked for, but guess what everything came back normal. I am as healthy as can be. So now I have finally accepted the fact that I have panic, anxiety and depression. All of these can cause a host of symptoms and its different for everyone.

If I googled all of the symptoms I have right now I would probably diagnose my self with 20+ diseases. I know now that its just anxiety and depression causing all my symptoms along with the side effects of the cit.

Once the cit kicks in for you; you will see that you will be able to rationalize your thoughts and they will roll right off your shoulder. I know how scared you must be. You will be ok. This is my second time on Cit and I know it took me a couple of months to feel better last time I was on them, but I still need reassurance too because this is scary and it puts your life on hold because its so debilitating. You will get better each week, but you will still have set backs until it fully kicks in :bighug1:

Suziewuzie
11-06-16, 22:43
My panic attacks sometimes feel like seizures, I get a bit of a black out and zone out before I snap back to reality - the fact that you were worrying about something before it definitely sounds like the heightened anxiety all got a bit too much and you switched to panic mode. Don't worry! It passed and you're fine.
I find it makes it worse if I'm worrying about something now & I try to hold it in, it makes me panic more because I'm so focused on it in my mind. So now I just say it out loud no matter how stupis it sounds, and my boyfriend just tells me rationally that I'm fine. When I was at the airport recently all I could think was "I'm panicking. It's happening. I'm going to have a panic attack" and it was making it all ten times worse, so I just said it to my boyfriend and he was like "So what? Have a panic attack, I'm here - you'll be fine" and then when I realised that nothing bad was actually going to come from my thoughts, it just passed.
But my panic attacks are different since I started on Citalopram, though I do rarely have them now

sunflower7
12-06-16, 00:10
Thankyou both so much. It's nice to speak with people that understand x