PDA

View Full Version : Advice?

Andy1718
12-06-16, 07:59
Hi guys
Just need some advice. Feeling ok and better than I was. Still wake up with anxiety in my arms and finding it hard to sleep. My anxiety seems to heighten when I think about work. I wonder if I will ever get back into the lecture room? Seeing my GP again Thursday. Do I get signed off again to give tablets more time or shall I go back to work? Certainly don't feel like the anxiety has gone but not sure it ever will. It's hard to make that decision because I am either in or out in front of students I cant really just dip my toe in to test the water. Will I know when I am ready to go back? Going into my 3rd week of cit and thinking I might give it two more weeks for full effect. Advise please

Suziewuzie
12-06-16, 09:18
Hi Andy, it sounds like you have quite a full on job & that does make it harder to know what's right to do. I'm a nurse so when I first 'got bad' I just knew in myself that I wasn't ready to face my patients and look after them. I was off for 2 months in total, while I got used to the citalopram and got in a better place mentally. Being off work made it a lot harder in some ways because I had nothing to distract me and the thought of going back used to torment me.
I stayed in touch with work by ringing them once a week to let them know what was happening - it just made me feel less alienated. Once I felt a little better I popped in to see my boss, I went in with the intention of discussing returning to work but once I got in the hospital I just felt completely overwhelmed and knew I wasn't ready - but it was helpful to see my boss and see the work place again. It might be worth doing that?
I went in again a few weeks later & this time I didn't feel scared at all, I had a cup of tea with some colleagues and told the ones I was close to what had been going on. They were all so understanding and I realised that having anxiety and needing time off was just not a big deal at all - I'd just made it one!
So I returned to work after 2 months, for the first week I did reduced hours but it was still hard. By the end of the second week I felt A LOT better, like I had a good routine again and for 8 hours of the day I didn't have time to think about anxiety or how I was feeling. Returning to work played a massive part in my recovery but I'm glad I didn't rush it and I think it's still probably a bit soon for you - give it a couple more weeks until you're a bit more settled on the medication. I went to see occupational health at work & the nurse there said she'd expect someone to be off for 6 - 8 weeks when starting a new antidepressant because that's how long they'd expect someone to become 'settled' on the medication.

Andy1718
12-06-16, 09:35
Thank you. That's is great advice.

Mojo61
12-06-16, 09:40
I agree with Suzie. You are only 3 weeks into the citalopram, which it is still very early days, and if you rush back to work before you are fully recovered you will not be doing yourself any favours. I'm 10 weeks in and although I'm much better than I was I know I'm still not ready to return to the world of full time work. I did not have a job prior to becoming anxious but I was looking for one. However now I realise that I wouldn't be able to do a full time job at the moment but I have started volunteering one day per week at Age UK which is great.

What is the situation with your work, are you signed off sick at the moment?

Carnation
12-06-16, 11:06
This decision is not something that you can put a time limit on.
In you mind, you may be eager to get back to things, but your body will be telling you otherwise. I would assess it week by week. You will know when you are ready to face it and in the meantime, give yourself some probably long awaited tlc. :)

pollynewsome
12-06-16, 15:46
I did exactly what suzie did.. Just returned gradually after 2 months off. Phase return which is what doctor put on sick note. Work were absolutely brilliant about it all. x

Victory2016
12-06-16, 18:26
Hi guys
Just need some advice. Feeling ok and better than I was. Still wake up with anxiety in my arms and finding it hard to sleep. My anxiety seems to heighten when I think about work. I wonder if I will ever get back into the lecture room? Seeing my GP again Thursday. Do I get signed off again to give tablets more time or shall I go back to work? Certainly don't feel like the anxiety has gone but not sure it ever will. It's hard to make that decision because I am either in or out in front of students I cant really just dip my toe in to test the water. Will I know when I am ready to go back? Going into my 3rd week of cit and thinking I might give it two more weeks for full effect. Advise please

Hi Andy,

I had a very stressful job in Human Resources. I believe that is what finally broke me along with some other issues. This happened at the end of 2012. I haven't worked since then as I am scared to do any job, but I was never on meds long enough to see if I would stabilize. I always thought something else was causing my problems. I started 20mg 9 weeks ago and this time around I am on them for life if need be.

You should take as much time off as you need or maybe you need to look for another job. Does your job offer any disability programs? If so I would look into that. You may feel great in a few weeks or a few months. Its really hard to put a time frame around it. I was on Cit in early 2013 and I felt really good around 4 months and then I weaned off, which was a big mistake. I also had all of the horrible start up side effect and I also got them this time around. Be strong and hang in there. You will get through this. :bighug1: