PDA

View Full Version : medication interaction

Miss.Katyy1990
12-06-16, 10:50
Hi there I don't know if anyone could shed some light on this

I had my thyroid removed and am now on thyroxine levothyroxine 150mg (I don't know if this is relevant) anyway I also suffer very badly with hay fever I was taking hay fever meds I believe it was piriton but I think it may have reacted with the thyroxcine and gave me a very rapid heartbeat so much so I ended up at A&E thinking something awful had happened but the doctor said it was very likely to be the hay fever meds I stopped taking them and my heart beat returned to normal.

This year the dreaded hay fever is back again and driving me insane I was just wondering if anyone knew of anything I CAN take whilst also on thryoxine medication, drops, pills nasal sprays? as it's driving me insane.

I am actually seeing my thyroid doctor on Friday so I will be asking him also but just for the time being as it's driving me mad :(

MyNameIsTerry
12-06-16, 11:00
Well if you wanted to check out if there is an interaction between anything you want to try with meds, Drugs.com has an interaction checker on there which will do this for you.

I've found the best thing for hay fever has been those infra red devices. I used to take a daily one-a-day pill, which were fine until you went back outside when the pollen was highest and blowing around it started me off again. The Beconase nasal spray was good too as you can use it more often, so I would combine them. But I decided to try the infra red when Lloyds Pharmacy had just started stocking them and I haven't looked back.

They are very easy to use a couple of times a day. You just insert the two prongs up your nose for a few minutes each time. When you buy these, they normally like to ask you about any conditions anyway as some people can't use infra red up their nose due to sensitivities, but that's something you would already know about and it does mention it in the manual. When I bought mine, Lloyds would answer your questions when buying it.

I find some years I no longer have much hay fever at all. This would happen before but it's much more often now. Grass pollen has always been the one that gets me, which typically is the longer one!

I've heard eating local produce helps with hay fever. And local honey. Perhaps that is worth some reading up on?