PDA

View Full Version : hi am new here

alan
21-10-03, 01:03
hi i dunno how i found this site but i did ..have been reading a lot and it all makes sense....im from sheffield too, im definately experiencing panics etc and my gp says its cos i drink too much...which i do....but only so i can make sense of it all, feel more relaxed and less anxious...cant even smoke a fag till i had a drink....i get a bad stomach....dizziness...some sensation that my eyes cant adjust to different surroundings its really horrible real anxiety panics and feel alone in dealing with it ...i just feel that if i go to docs im not an urgent case and its hard when i feel so emotional...confused hurt etc every emotion going...i just hope that one day i can get through this cos for the last few years ive just been managing it and i dont want to carry on being me like i am...i deal with the panics by ignoring them but its not easy cos theyre still there...i would be too embarrassed to panic in public so i try to contain it..i had cognitive therapy once cos i thought i had cancer

Laurie28
21-10-03, 12:12
Hiya Alan,

I get panic attacks, anxiety, the lot and I don't drink very much!!!
GP's have a habit of blaming alot of things on alcohol (my mother is an alcoholic and everything that goes wrong with her the GP blames on drink)and it seems to me u are drinking to escape.

I'm not an expert on alcohol but I would say it may be making your anxiety worse in the long term (stimulant and all that).
I obviously don't know the extent of your drinking but might AA help (I apologise if I am assuming too much here)

Hopefully some others on this site will give you some useful advice re anxiety and panic as I have not found anything that really works for me yet (still trying though)

I do feel like you. I can't go on like this .
How did you get on at cognitive therapy? did it help?
Would asking the doctor to refer you again be again good?

Sorry I haven't been much use to you
Take Care

Lucky

nomorepanic
21-10-03, 16:50
Hi Alan

It is true that drink can make the panic worse as it is a stimulant and I know that I feel worse when I have a hangover. The occasional drink can relax but some people have more than that and that is what causes the problems.

Go to the doctor and don't mention the drinking. Ask him to treat you for panic/anxiety - he cannot refuse to treat you or help you.

Cognitive therapy is very good for panic/anxiety so it may be worth getting some more of that too. When I lived in Sheffield I got 9 months with a psychotherapist at the University as well - so you could look into that too.

Hope things can get better for you.

Nicola

P.S. where in sheffield do you live?

Meg
21-10-03, 19:17
Hi Alan,

Alcohol is never a solution - just a disappointing band aid.

You're doing totally the right thing by ignoring the panics but unless you address what is behind the panic it may be hard to get rid of them.
The cause may be quite a few years ago but when you think about it either subconciously or in your every day life it starts you off.

Sensitive, creative, self aware people often suffer with this much more than others.

There are lots of posts with general panic and anxiety supportive advice put up recently so have a hunt around on the site .

If you feel that you could talk to someone go back to your GP and ask for a re referral for more CBT/counselling.

If you have any specific queries do post them here.

Best wishes

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...