PDA

View Full Version : Lung cancer

Amy6jx
12-06-16, 19:20
Hi everyone I'm new to this forum but have been lurking for a while. I have suffered anxiety for most of my life and I'm exhausted with it. I have a terrible fear that I have lung cancer. I'm 30 years old and have recently stopped smoking but I started around about the age of 16. I had a chest X-ray done in February due to coughing up a bit of blood and it came back clear so my anxiety was relieved but sadly it has crept back in:weep: I have chest pain on the right side which is also in my right shoulder blade,in my right side and it sometimes goes down my arm,my g.p says it muscular but I just can't believe that. Has anyone else had similar symptoms? I recently lost my grandad to mesothelioma which has definitely contributed to my anxiety.I feel like I'm going crazy! Thanks for reading x

Fishmanpa
12-06-16, 20:26
Hi everyone I'm new to this forum but have been lurking for a while. I have suffered anxiety for most of my life and I'm exhausted with it. I have a terrible fear that I have lung cancer. I'm 30 years old and have recently stopped smoking but I started around about the age of 16. I had a chest X-ray done in February due to coughing up a bit of blood and it came back clear so my anxiety was relieved but sadly it has crept back in:weep: I have chest pain on the right side which is also in my right shoulder blade,in my right side and it sometimes goes down my arm,my g.p says it muscular but I just can't believe that. Has anyone else had similar symptoms? I recently lost my grandad to mesothelioma which has definitely contributed to my anxiety.I feel like I'm going crazy! Thanks for reading x

First off, congrats for quitting smoking! It's one of the hardest habits to break. I have a dear friend I just lost to lung cancer. If your x-rays were clear then you're good. There's no mistaking lung cancer on an x-ray.
I'm sure losing a family member from cancer has sparked increased anxiety (sorry to hear about that).

It takes a while for your lungs to clear out but know you've significantly lessened the chances of a smoking related illness in your future.

Have you sought help for your anxiety?

Positive thoughts

Amy6jx
12-06-16, 20:54
First off, congrats for quitting smoking! It's one of the hardest habits to break. I have a dear friend I just lost to lung cancer. If your x-rays were clear then you're good. There's no mistaking lung cancer on an x-ray.
I'm sure losing a family member from cancer has sparked increased anxiety (sorry to hear about that).

It takes a while for your lungs to clear out but know you've significantly lessened the chances of a smoking related illness in your future.

Have you sought help for your anxiety?

Positive thoughts

Thanks for your reply. I'm in the deep vicious cycle of thinking that something has appeared in my lung since my X-ray it's irrational I know. I'm currently on a waiting list for CBT but not holding out much hope I don't think anyone can make me better but I'll remain positive. I'm trying to tell myself the fact I'm only 30 makes my chances of having lung cancer very slim but the niggle is always there.

cornishbumkin
12-06-16, 20:59
Hi if your xray come back clear your fine, xrays these days are really good and show everything up.

I have smoked for over 40 years and find it hard to stop so well done for packing in that's the best thing you can do.

Amy6jx
13-06-16, 15:43
Hi if your xray come back clear your fine, xrays these days are really good and show everything up.

I have smoked for over 40 years and find it hard to stop so well done for packing in that's the best thing you can do.

It really is a hard habit to break. Just worries me the X-ray was in February because in my silly head something could of changed since then. Literally driving myself insane :weep:

Pepperpot
15-06-16, 01:11
Hi. If your xray was clear then you are fine. My mam had a shadow on her lung on her xray which turned out to be cancer. If yours was clear, you are fine.

MyNameIsTerry
15-06-16, 05:58
Hi. If your xray was clear then you are fine. My mam had a shadow on her lung on her xray which turned out to be cancer. If yours was clear, you are fine.

Hi Pepperpot,

How are you & your mum doing?

Best wishes as ever. :flowers::hugs:

Pepperpot
15-06-16, 09:11
Hi Pepperpot,

How are you & your mum doing?

Best wishes as ever. :flowers::hugs:
Hi Terry - she's ok at the min - going for radiotherapy next week. I'm just plodding along too lol

iPodClassic
15-06-16, 17:12

I've started smoking at 15 and quit at 28. Congratulations, as I know how hard it is. But trust me, it's very unlikely you did some major damage to your lungs. Keep away from smoking, your lungs will be back to normal in a few years. No need to fear :)

Amy6jx
15-06-16, 20:14

Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry to hear about your mum I hope you're both OK as can be x

---------- Post added at 20:14 ---------- Previous post was at 20:09 ----------

I've started smoking at 15 and quit at 28. Congratulations, as I know how hard it is. But trust me, it's very unlikely you did some major damage to your lungs. Keep away from smoking, your lungs will be back to normal in a few years. No need to fear :)

Well done on stopping too :) I've only stopped within the last month and my days it's been very difficult! I've nearly caved on quite a few occasions! I owe it to my grandad he sadly died of asbestos lung cancer through no fault of his own so if I can prevent it I have to at least try.

iPodClassic
15-06-16, 21:05
Well done on stopping too :) I've only stopped within the last month and my days it's been very difficult! I've nearly caved on quite a few occasions! I owe it to my grandad he sadly died of asbestos lung cancer through no fault of his own so if I can prevent it I have to at least try.

I tried everything to quit, nicotine gum, etc. Nothing worked, the day a pop star from the 60's who was famous here died, it all clicked. He died of emphysema. Due to smoking. I could just not process the fact that I could end up like that, maybe not, but maybe yes.

That day was the last smoke I had. Ever since then, it was hard. I still dream I smoke every now and then lol. There were plenty times when I was close to smoke again but no. I've been clean for over 6 years now.