PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else?

adrian82
14-06-16, 13:00
Hello Reader,

I will keep it somewhat short & sweet. I am leaving for my first solo trip ever to Indonesia on this Friday. The last week or two, I have been getting really nervous and having mini panic attacks when thinking about all of the traveling I will be doing, how far away I'll be from home and the homesickness, and how I'll miss my girlfriend. I have never done anything like this, and as of currently writing this, I feel my mind is about to explode. I can't sleep and am getting severe anxiety about the flight, if I'll fit in, and how I'm going to miss my girlfriend. I will be going for 3 weeks which I know isn't a daunting time, but I'm still feeling really nervous about all of this.

Anyways, I am hoping this is normal and that I didn't make a huge mistake, and was wondering if anyone else on this forum has traveled alone, and if you had the same feeling/experience. Any advice will help, and thank you in advance!!!

-Adrian82

DPW16
15-06-16, 10:39
Hey Adrian,

I too suffer from Anxiety (GAD) & panic attacks.

I went travelling two years ago (aged 25) to SEA on my own. I remember feeling so anxious about it all before I left.

I kept thinking about the airport in Bangkok and what the hell I was going to do once there. If I'd be safe and if I'd miss home. Basically every thought you could think of which would make me not want to go.

But let me tell you this!
Once you arrive at your destination / get to your hotel you'll feel a massive weight lifted from your shoulders. Your panic will turn into excitement and you'll realise just how fortunate you're being able to do such an incredible task.

Travelling is amazing, it helps the brain and makes you feel so free of stresses in which you usually face day 2 day.

I started in Thailand then traveled on to Laos, Vietnam & Cambodia (total of 4 months)

Don't let this bug (panic attacks) hold you back. For if you do you'll never escape.

If I can do 4 months then you can do 3 weeks!.

Dave

PhoebeBuffet
18-06-16, 14:27
Think about each little part one step at a time - then it will seem less daunting! Good luck :)