PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Darlolad
15-06-16, 07:06
First post...

What's your advice (long post - apologies)?

So I've been bothered (but in fairness not overly) by a small lump tucked at the back of the mouth where the soft palate starts. It's not actually on the surface but under the skin.

I only found it as a few weeks ago I was suffering with a lot of mouth ulcers and I was prodding around.

Anyway I left it a week before going to the dentist. Upon examination she couldn't determine what it was at all and she said that if it was still there in two weeks that I should go back and they'd have another look and probably refer me on just to be sure.

Two weeks later and it was still there so off I went to the dentists again. This time I got a different one. He had a look and feel. He confidently told me that it was simply a piece of muscle and not to be concerned? He was quite abrupt in a pleasant way but I've been left wondering a) was he feeling the part of the mouth I wanted him to (it was difficult to show exactly where it was as there is no redness and its under the skin)? b) why one dentist literally couldn't offer me an explanation as to what it was but another was certain it was 'simply' a muscle (although I asked why something similar be felt on the other side).

I feel a bit in limbo now due to getting two answers at different ends of the spectrum in terms of confidence in diagnosis.

What would you do? Thanks

countrygirl
15-06-16, 13:27
Can you make an appt with the first dentist, if so then go back and explain that you would like them to look at it as they saw it first time so know the lump. I am sure its nothing but you will not stop worrying until its been checked out.
alternatively you could just moniter it for size as anything nasty would grow!

DrG00GLE
15-06-16, 14:15
It all comes down to the right dentist. I don't think some dentists even know about any of these things so you probably just got the wrong dentist the 1St time. I think you'll be fine

Darlolad
15-06-16, 17:16
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am usually one to trust in the doctors/dentists advice but it's the complete disparity in their disgnosises that has left me uncertain. It just amazes me that one had completely no idea what it might be and yet another would put their house on it being a muscle! Hmm....