PDA

View Full Version : Day 23 on cit update and help needed

Andy1718
15-06-16, 09:39
Hi guys
Just thought I would give you an update. So I have been off work for 4 weeks now with stress and anxiety, something that I have lived with for years and hid very well. My anxiety was situational - meetings, large groups, performance, perfectionism etc. Anxiety got overwhelming with a job change, loss of my dad and over thinking. I have been on cit 10mg for two weeks then 20mg for 8 days. So how am I feeling? Well not depressed. Doing normal stuff at home, out walking, picking up kids etc. However since the pretty awful 2 week side effects I seem to have levelled out and hit a pattern. Still have anxiety looming over me like a small cloud. Still got mind chatter, still got adrenaline when thinking about work, still tight breathing. Nothing really seems to have improved. Sleeping ok.
I was wandering what I do or say at GP tomorrow? Do I ask to go to 30mg or just ask for more time? I have been taken the odd propanolol just to see if it gets rid of the physical anxiety aspects just in case they do not subside and I need to get back into work. Should I start to feel better on cit by now? I have been doing breathing techniques, meditation, CBT and reading to help with this. Any advice would be very helpful.

Mojo61
15-06-16, 09:47
It has only been just over 3 weeks Andy. I would give it longer as a lot of people say they don't feel better until around the 12 week mark.

Victory2016
15-06-16, 11:16
Mojo is right you need to give it more time and allow your body to adjust. Plus you have only been on 20mg for 8 days. Every time you increase you need to give the new dose 6+ weeks to take effect. The first month is usually the hardest.

I could not tolerate propanolol or any other beta blocker. In fact they actually made me worse with side effects. As a next step I would ask your doctor for a Benzo if you don't have any.

Misty12
15-06-16, 12:02
Hi Andy,

I have been following the forums for a couple of weeks now myself but this is my first post, I am similar to you in that I was prescribed cit for anxiety rather than depression and was on 10mg for 6 days which increased to 20mg - I have been on 20mg for 8 days now too. I have also been struggling with the side effects, on Monday I literally cried all day, yesterday the morning was bad but after 3pm I actually had quite a good evening.

My anxiety is of quick onset following some difficult life events so it might respond slightly differently to yours, but I have a real problem in the mornings, when I wake up the anxiety and adrenaline through my arms and mind chatter/worry is still significant. As the day goes on it eases I don't know why but it does seem to improve, I also feel that my mood is lower than it was before I started but I intend to persevere at 20mg for at least the next couple of months to establish whether it will work based on the advice in the citalopram guide on this forum.

I can't take propranolol because of my asthma so I am using Kalms when things get really bad, I managed without them for about 4 days but since Monday I have had to take them again, partly because I think I am noticing the effects of the increased dose in my system as it all works itself out - I felt guilty about doing this at first but now I say if I need it and it helps me to function then its ok. I also have diazepam although I haven't had to use this yet - but it was close on Monday as it was a particularly bad day. I am also taking high strength omega 3, b vitamins, magnesium and inositol supplements based on the advice from this website, which I think are also helping.

In terms of your work I have just been signed off for a month - that will take me to 6 weeks off in total, thankfully I have understanding employers but as frustrating as it is I think we all need to give ourselves the time to let our minds mend and to let the medication work.

I don't know if it helps but I try and write down three positive things that happened each day and 3 things that I'm grateful for each day, it isn't always easy and some days I don't manage it but I try - I also use mindfulness meditations and have bought the book "At Last a Life" which I have found useful.

I do hope the side effects start to ease for both of us soon, I can certainly understand your frustrations and confusions re what to do, my advice would be to hold fire and steady the ship as it were and give it time. (sorry for such a long post).

Victory2016
15-06-16, 12:53
Hi Andy,

I have been following the forums for a couple of weeks now myself but this is my first post, I am similar to you in that I was prescribed cit for anxiety rather than depression and was on 10mg for 6 days which increased to 20mg - I have been on 20mg for 8 days now too. I have also been struggling with the side effects, on Monday I literally cried all day, yesterday the morning was bad but after 3pm I actually had quite a good evening.

My anxiety is of quick onset following some difficult life events so it might respond slightly differently to yours, but I have a real problem in the mornings, when I wake up the anxiety and adrenaline through my arms and mind chatter/worry is still significant. As the day goes on it eases I don't know why but it does seem to improve, I also feel that my mood is lower than it was before I started but I intend to persevere at 20mg for at least the next couple of months to establish whether it will work based on the advice in the citalopram guide on this forum.

I can't take propranolol because of my asthma so I am using Kalms when things get really bad, I managed without them for about 4 days but since Monday I have had to take them again, partly because I think I am noticing the effects of the increased dose in my system as it all works itself out - I felt guilty about doing this at first but now I say if I need it and it helps me to function then its ok. I also have diazepam although I haven't had to use this yet - but it was close on Monday as it was a particularly bad day. I am also taking high strength omega 3, b vitamins, magnesium and inositol supplements based on the advice from this website, which I think are also helping.

In terms of your work I have just been signed off for a month - that will take me to 6 weeks off in total, thankfully I have understanding employers but as frustrating as it is I think we all need to give ourselves the time to let our minds mend and to let the medication work.

I don't know if it helps but I try and write down three positive things that happened each day and 3 things that I'm grateful for each day, it isn't always easy and some days I don't manage it but I try - I also use mindfulness meditations and have bought the book "At Last a Life" which I have found useful.

I do hope the side effects start to ease for both of us soon, I can certainly understand your frustrations and confusions re what to do, my advice would be to hold fire and steady the ship as it were and give it time. (sorry for such a long post).

From my own experience I would be careful with the supplements you are taking. I know everyone reacts differently, but I was unable to take all the vitamins you listed as they actually caused me more depression and anxiety. The omega's gave me sever anxiety and the B vitamins can be very stimulating.

Just because they are vitamins it dose not mean they are healthy for you. They are man made synthetic vitamins. Your best options is to get them from foods.:bighug1:

Misty12
15-06-16, 13:41
That's really interesting Victory2016 - thank you for mentioning it - I will look into it again - I started the supplements as my appetite is so low so struggling to get any goodness in my diet - hopefully that will improve in time too.

Andy1718
15-06-16, 14:45
Hi there
Thanks for your post and response. I had a terrible 2 weeks on side effects but they have passed. I am quite calm but still getting anxiety with the mind chatter. I have asthma but still take propanolol, it has been fine. It depends on how severe you asthma is. For me it's very clear cut now. I give these tablets 6 weeks and I will go from there. If I am still anxious going back to work I either have to bite the bullet and do it and see what happens gradually or find another vocational. Keep in touch misty12 it looks like we are on the same journey.

Victory2016
15-06-16, 17:32
That's really interesting Victory2016 - thank you for mentioning it - I will look into it again - I started the supplements as my appetite is so low so struggling to get any goodness in my diet - hopefully that will improve in time too.

Yes i was quite surprised when I learned they were making me feel worse. Just do a google search. Yep the first couple of weeks your appetite will be low. I was shoving food down just to make sure I had food in me even if it took me an hour to eat it. It will improve over time.