PDA

View Full Version : Can't shake anxiety about secondary drowning

Ultimatejourney
15-06-16, 21:40
So yesterday, I was swimming in my pool and apearently I swallowed some water without noticing it. Me, being me, even though i didn't notice anything until after the fact, and that the only symptoms i had were an agitated throat and a bit of a sore stomach, started panicking about the possibility of secondary drowning. I thought that if I survived the night, I would be ok but I'm still panicking because I heard that it can take 24 to 48 to 72 hours to see symptoms, but I'm pretty sure that that is just fear mongering and that I'd know pretty much immediately because i think it would be pretty painful going down. I've also calculated that my risk of death by drowning is .001010285 percent, but still I can't stop the panic.

Fishmanpa
15-06-16, 21:55
Things like this are akin to the brain eating amoeba, rabies as well as some of rarest conditions known to humankind. If this really were an issue, people would be dropping over from drinking a glass of water ;) You've done the math. The chances are better hitting the lotto.

Hope you feel better soon.

Positive thoughts

Ultimatejourney
15-06-16, 22:42
Hahaha yeah, but anxiety unfortunately has trouble responding to rashionality . Best thing I'm able to do right now, besides going to see my doctor for every little ailment, is finding something distracting to watch (used to be spongebob, but now it's Father Ted).
I do have an apointment with my psychiatrist on monday, and I'm gonna ask for a referal for someone who can do CBT, as I know there are some in the area that specialize in HA.

Fishmanpa
15-06-16, 23:11
Hahaha yeah, but anxiety unfortunately has trouble responding to rashionality . Best thing I'm able to do right now, besides going to see my doctor for every little ailment, is finding something distracting to watch (used to be spongebob, but now it's Father Ted).
I do have an apointment with my psychiatrist on monday, and I'm gonna ask for a referal for someone who can do CBT, as I know there are some in the area that specialize in HA.

:yesyes: Good going. You're way ahead of the game in that you totally recognize what's going on so there's quite a bit rationality happening. That works well with CBT. I found it to "just make sense".

I used to watch Spongebob with my kids when they were little. I liked the way the writers occasionally put something in that only adults would catch ~lol~ I'd laugh at something and my kids would wonder why.

Positive thoughts