PDA

View Full Version : Smelling a smell that isn't actually there.. toast..

little.miss.worry
16-06-16, 01:56
Okay so i'm kinda worrying a bit at the moment. It's happened to me a few times. I can smell toast and no one else can. It's scaring me pretty badly as I don't really know if this is serious. I think i'm also making it worse by worrying. Can this be a symptom of anxiety? It's a peculiar one :(

Thanks!

spanishbasqueheart
16-06-16, 01:59
I can get that sometimes too usually as I'm about to fall asleep or just wake up and people!e I've asked say it could be sinus related xx

little.miss.worry
16-06-16, 02:13
I can get that sometimes too usually as I'm about to fall asleep or just wake up and people!e I've asked say it could be sinus related xx

I do have problems with my sinus's a lot.. could be that then!

MyNameIsTerry
16-06-16, 04:54

Since you only experience in those two instances, it could be an olfactory sleep phenomena. These have been reported in the Hypnagogia (falling asleep and within the first two hours of sleep) and Hypnopompia (waking) stages of sleep. These stages are completely normal and there are many phenomena that anyone can experience.

Smells can recall memories too. I wonder if the opposite is true also?

KatiePink
16-06-16, 05:36
I've heard that smelling toast is a sign of pregnancy - no idea if that is true or if possible for you but I've definitely heard it x

MyNameIsTerry
16-06-16, 06:19
I've heard that smelling toast is a sign of pregnancy - no idea if that is true or if possible for you but I've definitely heard it x

Thank god there was actually someone making toast then when I smelt it...it would have give my GP a shock otherwise. :D

KatiePink
16-06-16, 06:26
Thank god there was actually someone making toast then when I smelt it...it would have give my GP a shock otherwise. :D

:roflmao:

little.miss.worry
16-06-16, 18:44

:roflmao: thankfully, i'm 100% not pregnant ahaha

Fishmanpa
16-06-16, 19:26
Phantom smells are an anxiety symptom. When I was going through cancer treatment, I was under a tremendous amount of both physical and mental stress during that time. I would get an ammonia type smell as well as a metallic smell and taste in my mouth. My doctors said that stress was causing it as well as some of the chemicals in the chemo.

Positive thoughts

little.miss.worry
16-06-16, 19:57
Phantom smells are an anxiety symptom. When I was going through cancer treatment, I was under a tremendous amount of both physical and mental stress during that time. I would get an ammonia type smell as well as a metallic smell and taste in my mouth. My doctors said that stress was causing it as well as some of the chemicals in the chemo.

Positive thoughts

Oh thank god. I was worrying it wasn't an anxiety symptom! I feel much better about it now!

Thanks Fishmanpa! :D

ShaunRyder
16-06-16, 20:29
I get this from time to time.. Run to the kitchen thinking my toast is burning to realise I had never even put any in :blush: I believe it is a very common symptom of anxiety :)

little.miss.worry
16-06-16, 20:57
I get this from time to time.. Run to the kitchen thinking my toast is burning to realise I had never even put any in :blush: I believe it is a very common symptom of anxiety :)

Thanks for the reply! Really appreciated :D I feel a little calmer about this now! :)

dale12345
17-06-16, 08:18
It's probably anxiety can do such weird things to my body . I wouldn't worry sweetie I think you're okay.

MyNameIsTerry
17-06-16, 09:21
Some interesting studies about smells with anxiety:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=171097

They found the olfactory system is very closely linked when anxious and causes things that don't smell to be bad smelling, things that smell fine or nice become bad smelling, etc.

I wonder what aspect of fight or flight that belongs too? :shrug: