PDA

View Full Version : 2 Years In, Having Setback

rocky3236
16-06-16, 02:21
First, I'd like to say that I'm new to posting on the forum so my apologies if I breach any etiquette :-)

I have been on Citalopram for just over two years now and for the most part it's been great. I have had the odd blip but nothing that has lasted for too long. But for the past three weeks, I have been really struggling and I was wondering if anyone else out there has had any similar experiences. I can't keep my mind from wondering, I can notice my shoulders being extremely tense and tired along with my arms, and my stomach has been out of whack if you know what I mean :-)

I would also like to add that I have been having symptoms without the panic if that makes any sense. Two years ago, I would have thought I was dying or had some incurable disease. Now I just have the symptoms of anxiety but I can normally control the panic attacks that used to go a long with them.

Any help or thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Rocky

Victory2016
16-06-16, 02:32
Hi Rocky,

Welcome!!!

First do you have any major stressful events going on in your life right now that could be causing this? Also have you made any diet changes or stop/start any new vitamins, supplements or medications?

What dose are you on?

rocky3236
16-06-16, 03:02
Hi Victory,

Thanks for the reply. I'm on 20mg which is what I was given from the start. I am currently planning for some air travel in July an given that I don't like to fly I have no doubt that's part of it. I lot of it may also be the stressing about the setback, which I can dwell on. I tend to be a hypochondriac so anything that tends to be off with my body (my stomach trouble for example) can cause a lot of stress as well. No diet changes that I can think of and no vitamins or medications. When I have stomach trouble, I do tend to avoid some foods thinking that might fix it but it may exasperate the issue. :doh:

Victory2016
16-06-16, 10:24
Any extra stress seems to set me back. Since you are nervous about flying that can increase your stress levels.

Its also possible that you just may need an increase in your dosage. Give your doctor a call and see what they say. Do you take any Benzo's or Beta Blockers. If this is just a blip maybe they will help in the meantime. Blips can last a few weeks.

rocky3236
16-06-16, 11:50
The only time I take anything additional is when I fly and then it's .5mg of Ativan. I avoid taking anything else because I would like to try and resolve some of these issues on my own if I can, although I am not against taking additional medication if the situation calls for it. In a way, it's comforting to know that others have had blips last for several weeks. At least I know now that others have experienced the same thing and that there is a light at the end of the tunnel somewhere :-)

Thanks again for the quick reply!

Debs21uk
16-06-16, 15:56
Hi,

Like yourself I am usually on 20mg of citalopram but lately I've been taking on too much and my stress levels were through the roof. By the time I noticed it my mood was awful and anxiety and depression had sunk in. This has been a particularly difficult time for me as usually I can keep going to work etc to get through but this time I couldn't because work is part of the problem. I'm up to 35mg of cit and although it's not what I want it's what I need. I always come back down the dose when I feel better but this time is taking a bit longer to find a balance. I have realised this is a very good learning experience for me although tell me that at the beginning and I'd have either burst into tears or punched you in the face!

I've sat and thought what has changed that caused this and that might help me notice it in the future. I came up with I stopped exercising, doing my mindfulness because I was too busy. I started taking afternoons off work as I couldn't face things and stopped seeing friends. I hadn't helped by not doing these things but I didn't notice at the time I had stopped them. I was so stressed I went straight from one thing to another and neglected myself. If anything this can now help me in the future as I've recognised how the downward spiral starts.

Best wishes x

DulwichHamlet
16-06-16, 17:02
I'm in a similar situation - been on 20mg citalopram for about five years, due to a history of OCD and associated depression and anxiety.

I had a pretty difficult time at the beginning of this year (breakup, job problems, death and ill-health in the family) which I felt I dealt with quite well, then something fairly minor happened and I felt my old symptoms coming back, and I've been up and down for about a month and a half now (after having been on a pretty even keel, aside from a few "blips" for several years).

I definitely think there were areas I was neglecting - diet and exercise, to name just two, and I know that stressful situations only really seem to hit me after the fact, in the moment I just tend to brush things under the carpet and carry on.

But try not to be too disheartened, it's completely normal to have blips, we all have more and less stressful times in our lives. If you're concerned then I'd suggest seeing your GP - they may review your dosage. Another thing to consider might be giving mindfulness a try, if you haven't before? There's quite a few books, apps and similar things out there.

rocky3236
17-06-16, 01:38
Thank you all for your responses. I have certainly considered practicing mindfulness or some other form of meditation but as you all know it can be extremely difficult to quiet your mind long enough to calm things down. I certainly have not given up on it but it certainly be frustrating and sometimes adds to your stress level which doesn't help. Today has been a better day just from reading the comments here so again I thank you all very much. It's a difficult battle that we all face so it's great that we can face it together.