PDA

View Full Version : Losing my mind - Anxiety over WHO announcing hot drink cause cancer

WorrywartAus
16-06-16, 08:42
Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I'm currently seeing a psychologist but, cannot get into see her in July.
I turned on my radio this morning and heard a headline about WHO advising us to not drink drinks over 65C, as it increases risk of oseophagal (spelling) cancer.

Of course, I've now ran with this information. Instead of shrugging it off; I'm going over how much damage I've done. I like my food and drinks HOT. I've had people comment on me eating something or drinking something at such a temperature.

I'm sorry to blurt this all out here. I just need help calming down, please?
I've weaned off Ativan so, I don't want to head in that direction.

Thanks for listening.

MyNameIsTerry
16-06-16, 09:06
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome:

This actually came out in 2009, it's just new research.

I've read reports on both and in each the same things seem to show up - some countries have traditionally drank beverages at very hot temperatures. However, we tend to put milk in our tea & coffee which cools it. The new report also points out that it can be any liquid but in the 2009 one they had acknowledged that it's just about a substance consumed that has been heated over a certain temperature hence it applies to both food & drink.

So, cultures that traditionally consume extremely hot things are thought to have risks. The current study was poor anyway, it only pointed out increased risk but was criticised because it did not mention the length of time exposed so they didn't work out how these works in real world terms. The type of cancer involved also differs between Europe & US vs Asia & South America.

It was also criticised because it did not measure the degree of risk. So, does it increase the risk by 5% or 0.0000000001%? They don't know, no one attempted to find that out.

A bit of a scary study for nothing by the sounds of it. If there was a definite problem, cancer research charities, WHO, etc would be telling us what to change. They haven't.

Magic
16-06-16, 21:14
This is something that I would be worrying about as it takes me ages to eat, so it is cold by the time I have finished anyway. also is my drink of tea.
It's a good job I don't buy Newspapers.:huh:

WorrywartAus
21-04-17, 15:35
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome:

This actually came out in 2009, it's just new research.

I've read reports on both and in each the same things seem to show up - some countries have traditionally drank beverages at very hot temperatures. However, we tend to put milk in our tea & coffee which cools it. The new report also points out that it can be any liquid but in the 2009 one they had acknowledged that it's just about a substance consumed that has been heated over a certain temperature hence it applies to both food & drink.

So, cultures that traditionally consume extremely hot things are thought to have risks. The current study was poor anyway, it only pointed out increased risk but was criticised because it did not mention the length of time exposed so they didn't work out how these works in real world terms. The type of cancer involved also differs between Europe & US vs Asia & South America.

It was also criticised because it did not measure the degree of risk. So, does it increase the risk by 5% or 0.0000000001%? They don't know, no one attempted to find that out.

A bit of a scary study for nothing by the sounds of it. If there was a definite problem, cancer research charities, WHO, etc would be telling us what to change. They haven't.
Thank you for your info.
Sorry about my late reply - I completely lost this thread and my login details.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Fishmanpa
21-04-17, 15:40
Just another study that links everything to cancer IMO. I'm not giving up my morning coffee I'll tell you that much! ~lol~ ;)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31WPzCGJLpL._SY300_.jpg

Positive thoughts

WorrywartAus
21-04-17, 15:40
Haha thanks x

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk