PDA

View Full Version : Meeting with GP, advise please

Andy1718
16-06-16, 09:56
So I saw my GP this morning.
He has kept me on 20mg cit for time being and signed me off for another two weeks. He told me that the initial dose of 10mg is just for the meds to get into your system and see how you are with the side effects. They were bad but ok now. The real work starts when you go to 20mg apparently. So only 4 weeks on 20mg he suggested I give it another 2 weeks then review.
I told him that my anxiety is still there and up and down. He has told me to take propranolol for the short term, three times a day to help calm this down. The anxiety is there but only when i think about going back to work or in a stressful situation like the doctors this morning. I wonder if taking the prop may mask if the cit is working? Will I know what drug is doing what?
Should i simply build up the prop and see what happens? He said they are very different drugs and do not react with each other. It may be the prop that is the only drug that gets me back into work as the anxiety is so strong at times. Doing all the other stuff along side, meditation, CBT, books, audio, exercise, spending time with family etc. Hoping that something will click and stop this awful mind chatter. Strange that I had such a relief when he signed me off again for two weeks, a sure sign that I am not ready to go back to work or just avoiding the inevitable? Reassuring or not he was the third doctor to tell me that he sees teachers all the time with anxiety and stress. Reassuring for me but the not the profession!

pollynewsome
16-06-16, 14:55
I saw a councillor a few week back. He told me he had 17 people on his books and that 11 were teachers. Eek!. X

Fishmanpa
16-06-16, 15:19
All the beta blocker will do is keep your heart from beating too fast which is a side effect of increased anxiety or a panic attack. It has no effect on brain chemistry.

Positive thoughts

Pipkin
16-06-16, 17:49
All the beta blocker will do is keep your heart from beating too fast which is a side effect of increased anxiety or a panic attack. It has no effect on brain chemistry.

Positive thoughts

It also helps with the other physical symptoms of anxiety like shaking, sweating, hot flushes and the awful tight stomach feeling.

Pip

Mojo61
16-06-16, 18:25
Doesn't propranolol block the affects of adrenaline too?