PDA

View Full Version : Going to the Drs often

rebeccad
16-06-16, 21:04
Does anybody feel embarrassed about going to the Drs frequently? I've even considered changing Drs so I can go again , i was there yesterday about my breast issue and I told her everything was settling down, she did an exam and said she felt nothing, today at work I thought I'll just have a little feel and low and behold it's swollen again , I have a sort of swelling that's soft and moves but I don't have it in my other breast and I can't remember feeling it before, now I want to go back but I'm so embarrassed, I don't know where to turn or what to do now x

Fishmanpa
16-06-16, 21:32
I don't know where to turn or what to do now x

Well... based on your post history, I believe it's time to break the cycle. Finding a new doctor just to continue the reassurance seeking will just keep you in the loop.

What about investing the monies you would spend on an appointment with a GP on a therapist to help you break the cycle?

Positive thoughts

rebeccad
16-06-16, 21:39
I am waiting for therapy I've been waiting for months and months the waiting list is so long x

Fishmanpa
16-06-16, 21:55
Hang in there a little longer or perhaps call and see if there's any way to get you in sooner. Keep on repeating the fact that you just saw a doctor and all is well. And do whatever you can to stop poking and prodding yourself! ;)

Positive thoughts

BikerMatt
16-06-16, 22:55
If it sets your mind at rest go. Don't worry what your GP/people think. My personal view is GP's get an easy ride and should be there for you and you shouldn't feel embarrassed.

J-P
17-06-16, 03:23
Welcome to the club :) I now have a family Dr for the first time in my life (34 yrs) and I tend to come up with laundry list of things that feel off, on the way out she told me she hoped we could stick to one subject on my next visit. I could only smile back at her, was so embarrassed.

---------- Post added at 22:23 ---------- Previous post was at 22:19 ----------

I am waiting for therapy I've been waiting for months and months the waiting list is so long x

Looks like the system in the UK isn't much better than our own, the wait time for a psychiatrist is 4-5 months. I'm also waiting to meet a mental health team composed of social workers/psychologists, they haven't reached out to me yet (it's been 2 weeks).

Fishmanpa
17-06-16, 05:20
If it sets your mind at rest go. Don't worry what your GP/people think. My personal view is GP's get an easy ride and should be there for you and you shouldn't feel embarrassed.

Matt, I would agree with that except the OP was at the doctor yesterday and got the all clear. To change doctors just so you can get more reassurance is a rather drastic measure and one that just reinforces the illness.

I agree, GPs are there to help you BUT, when there is nothing physically wrong, there's not much more they can do. The OP has been referred for therapy and help is on the way, but unfortunately the system isn't perfect so it takes time to get that help. I suggested a few calls to see if the appointment could be moved up. Perhaps a call to the GP to help push things along or act as a self advocate and call the mental health facilities and talk to someone about speeding things up (squeaky wheel gets the oil) would be in order.

If you read the history, you'll see this has been an ongoing issues for many years. It's a HUGE positive that help is forthcoming. That's the first step in the journey to healing. I just don't think another GP visit or changing doctors would be beneficial at this point. I know its much easier said than done but refraining from poking and prodding would go a long way in reducing the anxiety over a non-existent threat.

Rebecca, I wanted to add something here that you posted not too long ago to remind you....

I have decided I need a plan to aid my recovery , I have completely cut out Google, have not even gone anywhere near it! (I've been so tempted ) I now am working on stopping the reassurance it was getting ridiculous I was even getting the girl who sits next to me at work to come to the toilet and feel my breast lump, I'm on the waiting list still for my therapy, I've started going back to the gym with my friend that i have lots of laughs with and it really takes my mind off it even if it's just for an hour it's good to have fun ! I think as h/a sufferers we forget we can have fun as our worry is always at the back of our minds. X

I think you would benefit by revisiting that mindset :)

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
17-06-16, 06:38
I doubt a GP will get anywhere speeding things up, there is a queue for a reason. The therapy service need to deal with everyone and that's why this happens. There is no triage to determine who is worse and because of this, there can be sufferers more severe in front and behind us.

Something to think about there.

I wish it was otherwise. I did get mine pushed up because they messed me about and extended my waiting time by about 3 months or so. If something like that is happening, I would advocate complaining to push it forward. They may resist it or just refuse but it worked for me doing that. Otherwise I was going to go private for a while, but not everyone can bridge the gap that way and it's fraught with poor therapists.

countrygirl
17-06-16, 11:01
The best thing you can do is to tell yourself that you will wait for say 2 weeks and if you still have something you can feel then go back to the GP. If as seems the case this soft swelling comes and goes then thats good news as anything cancerous does not come and go! IF you are pre menopause age then its almost certainly hormonal which is why it comes and goes. Have you kept a diary of when you can feel it as you might find that its the week before your period for example??

In the uk the nhs system almost feeds health anxiety as seeing a GP is free of cost so its perfectly possible to see a GP every day of the week in some practises, certainly I could in mine. No hit to your pocket, the downside is that unless something is very urgent then you wait often for quite a time for therapy/treatment.

rebeccad
17-06-16, 11:47
I know I do it's just so hard when that little voice in my head says what If it's like I'm on self destruct I know I'll find something before I start poking and yet I still do it, every time I have a holiday coming up I do this to myself ��x

countrygirl
17-06-16, 22:13
Ah the holiday problem. My husband says he dreaded holidays for many many years because before every holiday I would obsess about a symptom and would then be totally miserable and obsessed all the holiday. I managed to get over this about 10 years ago and realised my fear was purely that I was not at home and could not go to the Dr's immediately if I wanted to.

Never forget the huge impact your behaviour can have on your family, its my one big regret that everything was overshadowed by my constant fear and worry when my son was at home and for most of my married life.

unsure_about_this
18-06-16, 17:29
Not at all one year when I had abdominal pains/problems I was there a lot.

Because I have do have a condition called NF I do make a few appointments if I find lumps I would like removing.

I am not too worried how often I go to the GPs. I only been once so far this year for a problem which was sensible to get checked out

rebeccad
18-06-16, 19:44
I've tried really hard and today I've been shopping and bowling with my boys then followed by a long walk in the park, tbh I feel a bit better for it xx