PDA

View Full Version : Could I be having diazepam withdrawal?

Shazamataz
16-06-16, 21:28
Hi All,

I seem to have hit a very rough patch in my recovery.

Have been on Mirtazapine now for about 3.5 months, saw small improvements up to a point but still was having sleeping issues. These settled a bit with starting melatonin at night and I decided it was time to come off the diazepam which I'd ended up on a maintenence dose of 4mg/day. Had become tolerant so it wasn't doing anything but had been advised to keep it there while things stabilised and only to change one thing at a time. This means I've been on diazepam for several months unfortunately.

So I chose to drop .5 mg a week in keeping somewhat with Ashton recommendations of dropping 1 mg every 1-2 weeks.

I managed not too many ill effects for the first 4 reductions. I did it on a Thursday and found I was a bit more on edge over the weekends but this eased over the week and I started to feel almost good!

Last drop last week was from 2-1.5. This time things didn't settle and on Wednesday night I woke in the early hours and had the first full panic attack I've had since being on the Mirt. Full on, need to go to hospital stuff! I didn't, as I know there's no point in doing that! I only managed a couple more hours sleep and yesterday was very rough.

I had to get friend's support to take my dogs out and go to the GP.

Usually after a rough start I improve as the day goes on but yesterday I got worse in the evening. Constant waves of anxiety. I gave in and took zopiclone at 1 am and managed a few hours sleep.

Up early I don't feel quite as bad as yesterday, mainly bad nausea and shivers.

I was tempted to increase the diazepam again to see if that helped but stopped myself from doing so, though I decided this week not to do a dose reduction.

If I'm doing it so gently, the tapering off, should I have such a bad increase in anxiety? And if so why not with the other reductions?

Please tell me this gets better!:weep:

dally
16-06-16, 22:14
Hi
I too became tolerant to diazepam on only 2-4mg twice a week.
I was having interdose withdrawals
My doctor told me I could stop cold turkey as I was taking such a low dose and so infrequently.
Wrong
If infuriates me that few GPs know the dangers of diazepam!

I did CT from valium and had really bad withdrawals for 2months, but it did ease slowly after that.

On the Benzo forum what was highlighted was that withdrawing from valium seems to affect each person differently and that the smaller the dose,. It seemed to cause the worst symptoms.
But
Reassuringly the forum also shows that withdrawal can be done successfully, and as you have not been taking it too long, it hopefully will not be too long drawn out for you.

Shazamataz
16-06-16, 22:16
Thanks Dally,

I've been on it several months :(

Interesting that it's worse coming off smaller doses?

I will persevere as don't really have any other option!

MyNameIsTerry
17-06-16, 07:46
Shaz,

Just bumping your thread.

I've just mentioned something about how others on here have found it harder coming off the lower doses. So, it's perhaps best to wait and see whether this stops like you have said.

I hope more with experience post but it's a quiet board other than dally at the moment. Nicola1980 was one who mentioned about the lower dose issue, I remember seeing that in a thread ages ago.

---------- Post added at 07:46 ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 ----------

It was here, maybe more posts though:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=166993&page=2

Yes I did withdraw and it wasn't too bad, there were days when I had the odd slip up especially so when I got down to just 3mg a day as that's the hardest part, the lower you get the harder it is so the odd day I succumbed and took an extra 1 or 2mg as I couldn't bare the anxiety and shakes but I soon got on track again. Unfortunately I've had a major setback since Christmas so I have been using the Diazepam again but I make sure I never take more than 3mg a day, i cut the 2mg tablets in half and take it like that when and if I need them. Anxiety and panic is such a horrible feeling you sometimes need some respite. You've done exactly the right thing seeing your Gp and getting help, you should be proud of yourself it's a big step for you. Just take one day at a time and you'll get there X

Shazamataz
17-06-16, 07:54
Thanks Terry,

Of course we don't know if that's the issue. I suppose a way to test it is to take extra and see what happens? But I am concerned that is a slippery slope I'd rather not go on.

I wonder if this last drop MAY have caused an issue as it's essentially quartering the dose where the original drop was only cutting down by 1/8 and then effectively a little more each time as really can only make the 2 mg tabs into quarters?

Alternatively it could be that its my time of month, another thyroid surge (GP thinks that may be it) or other things getting to me. The physicalness of the anxiety is pretty severe though.

Will just hang in there I suppose unless anyone else has any suggestions.

Not sure if I'm up to reading through threads, Terry, as I might frighten myself reading horror stories! Am making every effort to resist Googling!

MyNameIsTerry
17-06-16, 08:11
Maybe a combination of everything?

I'm yet to see a woman on here say that their period doesn't increase their anxiety. It makes sense really, women without anxiety get anxiety at that time. My GF complains about it.

It's possible the dose was too much. I know a lot less about benzo's that way but if you did that with an antidepressant, you would certainly be able to feel more in the way of withdrawal if you were going to get any. The bigger the drop, the more likely it will be harsher. These benzo's may be in very small dosages but they are very powerful meds so it makes sense the smaller the better.

I think some advice off dally or Nicola would be good there. Nicole doesn't seem to be on much these days but dally has been on more recently so it's perhaps worth asking? I'm sure she wont mind.

Shazamataz
18-06-16, 11:10
Still really rough today. Surely withdrawal would get a little better as time passes?

I even resorted to taking an extra 1 mg diaz today to see if it rebalanced things after the last drop, but no luck with that.

Really bad nausea, chills, trembles and overall anxiety.

I think I just have to ride ot for a bit longer as don't see what else I can do?

dally
20-06-16, 07:33
Hi Shaz
I withdrew from valium cold turkey on hm GP s advice. Now I know all experts say taper!!
So I can only advise you on what I've read from OP on benzo buddies forum.

Most people advise never to go back up, (if you have managed to be stable on the previous dose) but a 'one off' increased code in extreme emergency can be taken without harm to your taper schedule.
The danger is, that the 'one off's becomes a regular occurrence and you end up reinstating at the higher dose anyway. The aim is to be consistent in your withdrawal schedule.

Although, if this latest dose is too big a jump, then perhaps you need to reevaluate your taper schedule to a lesser fortnightly amount. (GPS can provide valium in syrup or you can obtain jewelry weighing scales on Amazon which can measure a more accurate amount from a cut up tablet). For some people, it is very important to get the withdrawal dosage accurate)

Also the Ashton manual and BBs recommend that you don't stay in your taper dose for more than one month max, but continue to taper.

I also think you need to stabilise all your other meds etc, so you have a clearer idea if what it actually is that is causing your symptoms .

Using any of all other self help measures ,relaxation, deep breathing, CBT, mindfulness, exercise, good diet is also so important when withdrawing.

Shazamataz
20-06-16, 09:57
Thanks Dally for all that,

I'm back up just one step (.5 mg) and don't want to change anything for a bit. I certainly didn't stabilize on the last drop from 2-1.5 mg.

That said, it's been 4 days now and I still feel dreadful like I'm going to die. Hoping it passes soon.

karenp
24-07-16, 09:18
I agree with Terry, it's probs a combo of everything. But Benzo wd is hell. I had not prob tapering though but my doctor took me off cold turkey after 3 years on Lorazepam. My life has been hell since. I found coming off Mirtazapine even worse though so be careful if you ever stop, it doesn't bother a lot of peeps but can be nasty. It never agreed with me though and just made me a lot worse. Good luck xxxx