PDA

View Full Version : Panic level is sky sky right now! :( help..

Savvy_Darling
17-06-16, 03:33
I'm freaking out and don't know how much more I can take of these veins. I'm really scared. I wanna make a docs apt tomorrow but I'm so scared too.. But I wanna know what's happening at the same time because I feel like I might be making things worse with anxiety or There's something really wrong and it's getting worse??? I don't know.
Anyways, 2 weeks ago I noticed in my right arm, the upper arm on the inside of the bicep area, blue veins! They aren't bulging! They aren't like how guys have veins that are bulging and stick up and you can feel them.. No... Mine are under the skin still just very blue and visible! I know I'm fair skinned and have been my whole life (Irish/Scottish in me) and I know certain veins I could always see but these ones haven't been there and are new! I know it and it's not my anxiety playing games one me. I know they were never like this in that area. Very blue and small purple ones too.. The ones in my opposite arm aren't like this. I can kinda see them but not like the right side at all!
Sure, I've been working out more, biking and my treadmill. I have a 20 lbs dumbbell I use on occasion and I do floor exercises but I don't see how this could cause this. Over the past year and a half I've gained close to 30 lbs and I've been just trying to get back to 130s again. Although I haven't worked out in a week because I've been too scared too honestly. And the veins are still the same. The last couple of days I've felt achey/weakness in my bicep areas both sides and I guess the right side more.. And I'm scared this is related!!!! Or if it's my anxiety on that part of my arm that has caused this I'm not sure. I haven't googled and I've wanted to sooo badly but I'm afraid it'll scare me more. I'm worried it's poor blood circulation or deep vein thrombosis or heart issues. As far as cancer I've defiantly worries if it's some type of blood cancer or cancer somewhere spreading in my body. Maybe a blood infection? I really don't know but I've thought of such horrible things and I've cried a few times about this. My anxiety is making me feel weird again like I feel panicked and tired and I'm just so scared about these veins. I notice all the veins in my body now like behind my knees and in my legs and I feel like a veiny freak.. The arm ones are the ones that started this and scare me the most. My biceps are feeling achey now as I type this.. I'm so scared. I don't know if my anxiety is causing the acheyness or if it's the veins and somethin terrible! :( I can feel so much nervousness and anxiety in me like that nervous feeling you get in your stomach.. I've woken up with this feeling over the last few days because I'm so scared of my veins and can't stop looking in the mirror. :(

Savvy_Darling
17-06-16, 03:41
For some reason taking a picture doesn't do the same justice as it looks when I look in the mirror and i don't know why but.. You can see them all the way into my shoulder and to my elbow and wrists(although I could always see the ones in um wrist and for arm.. The ones in the bicep are new and they genuinely scare me. I don't know what's wrong. Never happened before

Savvy_Darling
17-06-16, 03:45
Another one.. I'm right handed but still I don't know why it would happen and I don't understand why all of a sudden 2 weeks ago. So the whole, weather change explanation don't make sense. I can't stop wondering if it's from sow thing bad and life threatening and it's why I keep wanting to call the doc but my anxiety is paralyzing and I can't do it . Like I said, the pics don't show them the way I can physically see them.. They're more blue and longer and some purple. And now this acheyness in my upper arms.. I just am freaking out and i don't know what's happening. I feel like I'm gonna die and I'm so depressed right now..

Shazamataz
17-06-16, 04:01
Savvy they look completely normal, honestly. I have pale skin and can see lots of my veins and have always been that way. they become more prominent the thinner you are.

You have NOTHING to be worried about!

Savvy_Darling
17-06-16, 04:07
Shaz, they don't look normal on me tho :( I feel ugly honestly. But I don't think I've even lost weight that's why I don't see why they would all of a sudden show up. The fact they seemed to just appear out of nowhere is what is causing my anxiety so bad. I don't know what causes the sudden appearance of them being so blue and noticeable in my upper arm. :( thanks for your reply though.. If I've have them there my whole life I wouldn't be worrying.. It's the fact they haven't been is what's worrying me. And this acheyness which is making everything 100x worse thinking it's my veins causing this.

Shazamataz
17-06-16, 04:15
I wonder if they've always been there but you have just now paid attention to them? Once you focus on something it becomes very hard to ignore!

Savvy_Darling
17-06-16, 04:30
I'm telling you they haven't been! I know the veins I could always see and these ones are so blue and noticeable and I know what I look like in tank tops and I know I couldn't see them like that. :( the only thing I could say is when I stare in the mirror it seems like it gets worse! The acheyness seems to have started over the last couple of days and i don't know like I said if it's from my anxiety over my veins in my arms.

MyNameIsTerry
17-06-16, 05:11
Savvy,

All those veins have always been in your body. You aren't growing new veins. So, the fact you can see them now must mean that they are just showing more than they have before. How can you grow a whole network of new veins like that?

I was standing in front of the mirror today and thought about this. I looked at those in at the top of my chest. And then at those on the backs of my hands. The latter are the most visible other than those on my feet. They have always been like this for me although working out makes them obviously more visible. What did I see? I could see those in the mirror were more visible than when I placed my hands close to my face. So, that's about how the mirror is reflecting the image.

You have been keeping fit for a bit now. You will notice changes that appear sudden but really they are creeping along but you just don't quite notice them. It's the same with losing weight or building muscle.

There is nothing unusual about what you are showing us. Nothing.

When you replied to Shaz that they weren't there before, it demonstrated the irrational thought processes involved. Loads of Cognitive Distortion going on there. Our veins have always been there and they will always be there. It's only a question of how much of them we can see. They won't move but they will be pushed outwards by muscle building, they will seem to be thicker because you are making your blood pump more efficiently, the extra water intake will also make them swell (which is fine) and losing body fat will strip away what has been covering them.

Fishmanpa
17-06-16, 05:31
As someone who was into body building before my physical issues started, I can assure you what you're seeing is normal. You've been actively exercising and weight training. As you gain muscle mass and lose body fat, your veins become more prominent. Also, as your muscles grow and develop, your veins will adapt and grow to provide much needed oxygen and nourishment to your muscles. I don't doubt you may be seeing this (the pics show nothing) but it's totally normal! All I see is someone who's developing some decent biceps :)

IMO, this is a case of skewed self perception fueled by psychological issues. Addressing the latter would be the most positive and beneficial thing to do.

Keep on working out! It's great exercise and also great for you mental well being as it relieves stress.

Make that call about getting some help. No one will look at you differently and it they do? F em! ;) This about you and helping yourself.

Positive thoughts

Savvy_Darling
17-06-16, 06:47
Terry- lol I know they were always there but I was just saying like being able to see them. The cause of that is what was scaring me. My mind was racing of different bad things that could cause them to be seen like blood clot. Or other scary things... I agree with the mirror thing though that it reflects it differently making them look different. Still though, could it be anything bad causing this?
Another thing is this achyness I'm feeling in my upper arms... Like an uncomfortable feeling that I need to stretch them out. It's a weird feeling. Could anxiety be causing this? It's freaking me out right now like I keep getting really panicky feeling this.. I'm worried it's like blood clot or poor circulation is causing my veins to be seen more. I'm trying to understand the exercise as a cause but i don't know why I'm feeling sore. My arms don't look any different except the visible blue veins.

Fishmanpa, when you explain it like that it makes sense.. And thanks on the conpliment but I don't think my muscle feel any different than before and I haven't been doing much with the arms.. That's why I'm worried if I had been doing a lot of lifting or arm exersise I could believe that to be the cause but I don't think I've intentionally did anything to work my arm muscle to cause the veins to appear more. /: I also don't think I've gotten any paler to cause this so I can't help but worry if it's bad. And the achyness keeps continuing my panic.

MyNameIsTerry
17-06-16, 07:12
Anxiety certainly does cause muscular tension, I've had loads of it since being on this med. But it can also be the exercise.

If you are doing heavier work it will cause the muscles to tear (perfectly normal, this is how muscles grow bigger) and this can cause something called Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) and it can feel pretty deep, like your muscles are bruised but you can't see it. After a few weeks, the body adjusts and the DOMS tend to reduce a lot.

Honestly, you aren't seeing anything anyone else doesn't see when they work out. The more you do that, the more your body will change and these things will start to show up.

Savvy_Darling
17-06-16, 07:42
I haven't worked out in a week.. Could DOM really happen that long after? Could you still get that if you weren't working out your arms too? I've really only been biking and treadmill and floor exercises for abdominals. Used the Dumbbells maybe a week or more ago once..usually too tired to do the weight lifting after cardio lol. Also as far as the acheyness goes it almost seems when I start focusing on my veins and arms my arms start to feel weird that's why I was wondering about anxiety.. Like can your mind cauSe odd sensations like that. I just wish I knew when to go to a doctor like signs to look out for if its something bad. I really wish I could just call and go but my anxiety makes me avoid things heavily because I get too scared to deal with it. /: I'm just having a hard time with this.. Especially since I doubt my veins will go into hiding again /: definitely hoping it's just exersise):

MyNameIsTerry
17-06-16, 08:06
Well with biking you will be using your arms a bit to keep you stabilised. With running, your arms do get some use (ever wondered why sprinters have amazing arms?) because you pull with them as you run. Couple that with losing some weight, and losing weight initially tends to all water loss too, so things start showing through more easily.

For the DOMS, that's more when you put a certain amount of load onto the muscles but aches can still come from secondary use. It's likely that it is anxiety for that with not working the arms direct and muscular tension is one of the most common anxiety symptoms there are.

The stereotypical HA person heads for the doctors too easily to seek reassurance. You are just one of those that differ, maybe more a GAD person? Or maybe it's just a variation that some fear the doctors as much as their symptoms? You're not the only one I've seen on here though.

I guess what others do to work out the difference between needing to see a doctor and accepting it as anxiety is one of the big challenges for HA people. I've seen threads asking that very question a few times since being here. Why not look them up and see what advice others gave that they used?

Focussing on symptoms makes them appear in a sort of HD. I have this problem too with my physical symptoms. I too find it hard with things like muscle soreness, it's one of the big reasons I struggle to get back into hard exercise.

Savvy_Darling
17-06-16, 09:45
Yeah I'm definitely not one of those people who run to the doctors quickly. I avoid it at all cost.. Unless I mean it's something really bad.
Yeah my upper arms just feel weird. Almost restless like I need to move them and stretch them. It's uncomfortable and i don't know what's causing it so it's why I can't help but link it with the visible veins. Typing on my phone with both hand on my phone and arms folded makes it worse I feel like and so does thinking about it. I'm just so worried it's a clot or somethin even thought my arm itself looks normal like the other one. I can't think of anything I've lifted to cause it and i don't know about muscle tension or how thT area would get it /: I wish this would just go away..

MyNameIsTerry
17-06-16, 10:03
You get muscular tension when stressed. It's because we are tensing up a lot. We can even be doing this when resting or sleeping.

There is an old technique from the 1920's called Progressive Muscle Relaxation (PMR) which therapists still use today that helps with it. Here is a version of it:

http://psychology.tools/progressive-muscle-relaxation.html

I used to do that when I first started having therapy, it can help.

Other things like stretching, yoga, etc can help too. With this tension, I find some gentle exercise can help as well so if you have been in all day, try and walk it off.

Like you say, you are trying to link it to the vein issue, the vein issue that isn't an issue to us as we look the same as you. That's classic anxiety, making connections based on bias, skewed thinking & assumptions. You have a much greater reason in anxiety itself for how this feels.

Maybe a bath could help relax your muscles? People always used to take Epsom salt baths for sore muscles, it's the magnesium in it.

Savvy_Darling
21-06-16, 00:57
Still worried about my veins. :( and what could cause them to be so visible suddenly. I haven't intentionally exersise in close to 2 weeks. My anxiety had been too bad. I'm starting to feel weird and spacey almost. Hopefully it's the anxiety. I keep questioning how I feel and if I'm okay. I had a good weekend though, I got out and did a lot..and I didn't feel weird. Now that I'm home I'm back to my worrying..so like I said I feel weird and it's scaring me. Noticing all the veins in my legs.. It's like my skin is getting translucent or something.. Which is freaking me out. I don't think my skin was like this before. I'm scared something is wrong like kidney failure or melanoma spread within me. Like something bad is causing these skin changes. What about these purple like dots? Kinda like vein color but just dots and purple. I have a couple on my legs.. Why? :( why is this all happening! I'm so scared I'm dying and that something horrible is happening inside me.... I also have smaller spider veins which are more thin and purple.. More so on my legs..but some less intense on my underside of upper arms.
Please help :( didn't wanna post a new thread..

Here's a pic of purple dot (it's more twards the ankle across from a freckle).. Anybody else have this? What's happening to me:(

Fishmanpa
21-06-16, 01:14
With respect... what are you actually seeing? I don't see anything abnormal at all :huh:

Positive thoughts

Savvy_Darling
21-06-16, 01:29
Purple dots like under the skin... I have a few.. Also right near it you can see the see a spider vein. I just don't understand why all these new visible veins and weird things..

Fishmanpa
21-06-16, 01:35
Awww Saavy... I know this won't make a difference but there's NOTHING abnormal there :lac:

Hope you get some help soon and feel better.

Good luck and as always...

Positive thoughts

.Poppy.
21-06-16, 02:19
Several years ago, I started going postal over spider veins/visible veins in my legs. I thought them being near the surface meant they were enlarged or something or that I had a clot or just something really, really bad.

Somewhere around 5+ years later...I still have those pesky veins, but no problems and I'm still alive.

I think sometimes they just show up. They can with age, for sure. There are all kinds of products for older women to get rid of veins! Others have probably always been there, but you're just noticing/paying special attention to them now.

FWIW, one of my best friends is a nurse and she has looked at my veins several times...they're normal. Some in my arms she gets excited about because she's a nurse and weird and loves to tell me I have "good veins" for drawing blood. :roflmao:

Savvy_Darling
21-06-16, 02:34
Poppy, that really helps easy my mind! How you felt is exactly how I'm feeling now...I kehave think something bad must be happening in my body to cause this to happen! Like a diesease or terminal illness. Ugh. How lucky you are to have a bestie that's a nurse!! Haha
Yeah I remember I got blood drawn once and the nurse was like "oooo you have nice veins!" I was like... Okay.... Thanks? Lol I feel pretty insecure abouT them now though especially since it's like I'm just noticing all them. :( how old are you by the way? You seem young like me. I'm 21. I feel like I have grandma skin I don't know. The ones on the underside of my upper arm like the bicep area are what worry me most. They have appeared out of nowhere and I can see them from my shoulder down to the elbow crease.. And the right arm is way worse than the left. If I got the all clear that they were normal I wouldn't worry about them so much.. Although I'd still be insecure I wouldn't worry I was dying. I am pretty pale but I don't get why they would appear now. :( I'm really afraid of the Doctor and that whole experience so I totally wish I had a close friend that was a nurse I could ask like you did!! I hope they case with you is the same with me. Are your arm ones visible too? Like the bicep area to shoulder?
Here's a pic.. Everytime I post a pic it doesn't do justice but i can see it originally.

.Poppy.
22-06-16, 00:35
I'm 24. I like to think that's young, haha. :)

I just checked and I can see a vein in my bicep as well. It's not as visible as it is farther down in my arm, but it's totally there.

I also have random spots on my legs where I can see a little bit of a vein and then the vein "disappears". It's probably due to a distribution of fat. More fat = less ability to see veins. Being pale doesn't help, and I am totally pale :)

I can't remember, have you seen a doctor you trust about anxiety yet? Maybe it would do you good to try two things:
1) Keep a journal of all these symptoms that freak you out and how they change OR resolve
2) Set up doctors appointments, maybe every 2-3 months to start, where you can bring your journal and talk about your fears.

...that with the help of a good therapist and maybe meds could be the answer for you. A LOT of my HA issues resolved when I realized I was just going in circles worrying about them and based on my past journal entries, they always resolved themselves and were never as harmful as I thought. More of my anxieties resolved when I saw my doctor about them and he explained them to me, and then when I saw/see them again I know what they are and that they aren't harmful.

Doesn't mean I'm cured :) I still have anxiety and maybe it's my meds kicking in but it's easier for me to rationalize certain things now.

And....sometimes it's good just to see a doctor for a checkup. You may go more frequently now but hopefully you'll get to the point where a once a year physical is good enough. I saw my therapist today and she actually told me there wasn't anything wrong with going to the doc about the hair loss that is plaguing me. Sure, I can try to rationalize it all I want but it's an issue and in some ways by telling myself that I'm crazy and there's nothing wrong I'm sabotaging myself too. I'm not giving my perceptions credit, and I'm not trusting my judgement.

I think anxiety skews our judgement for sure -- which is why I think frequent little 'physicals' would be helpful for you -- but as time goes on, we can recognize some things and maybe think that others need to be checked out and that's okay. When I have chest pain, I know instantly it's probably costochondritis and a simple press on my chest confirms. No need to worry.