PDA

View Full Version : Skipped beats and hunger?

Samtattoo
17-06-16, 16:03
I feel I get ectopic beats most days now multiple times through out the day, they really panic me even though I've been told they are totaly benign, even my doctor said she gets them all the time but it's just from stress and anxiety.
However lately I seem to notice them more frequently when I'm hungry or nearing lunch time even tho I'll eat breakfast a few hours earlier, kinda feels like a fluttering or a thud, but once I go out a get my lunch they seem to stop after eating until afternoon time when its time for dinner, not sure if it's connected or me just trying to find a reason for them.
I take ranitidine(Zantac) twice a day for acid

Anyone else feel anything similar?
These things are really scaring me now, starting to think I have some horrible undiagnosed cardiomyopathy even tho I had an echo 3 years ago due to inverted t waves and multiple ECGS since then and everything is normal apart from the t waves which I've been told are just normal for me being an anxious person

kezzal
18-06-16, 21:58
yep i get them when im hungry i often skip breakfast then probs dont eat till late afternoon due to work then i get them i also get them if i have heartburn or sometimes i get ectopics followed by heartburn drives me insane =(

Samtattoo
19-06-16, 08:47
Yeah it's been driving me crazy lately, absolutely terrified I've got an enlarged heart or something dreadful, always sends me into a complete panic when I get them, sometimes I wonder is it just my stomach and this stupid heart burn medication causing these things

2Anxious
19-06-16, 17:34
This should be encouraging tbh, it shows they're happening because of something other than your heart. There are countless things that can cause PVCs/PACs and stomach issues are one of the main ones.

I also have acid reflux and it's worse when my stomach is empty. In my completely non-professional opinion, I think it could be as I said, acid getting worse on an empty stomach and irritating the vagus nerve which can cause ectopic beats.

This doesn't happen to me, but if I have acid and try to lie on my left side, my heart goes crazy. If I take a big gulp of Gaviscon, they completely vanish. Again, I don't find this too concerning as I know something else is causing them.

Seffie
20-06-16, 18:56
Not 100% certain about this but I think it's because when you're hungry and your blood sugar drops your body produces adrenaline for energy? I used to start hyperventilating if I was hungry and I put it down to my body producing adrenaline, as I'm sure you know, adrenaline triggers palpitations in some people.
I am taking magnesium taurate and it is definitely helping, maybe worth looking into
Seffie X