PDA

View Full Version : A different one last night got a bloody carp rig in my finger worried about infection

Lockey1995
19-06-16, 00:12
Hey,

So last night I was fishing and the lead dropped off the peg with the rig In my hand and bang hook straight in went quite deep luckily it wasnt barbed and pulled it out followed by red blood which I squeezed out. Now stupidly I forgot about it and didn't bloody put any stuff on it antibacterial or anything.

Ive only just realised it again and put some sudocrem on it but its way late now :( I did have a tdap vaccine when I was 15 but still worried im 20 now the lake was clear water and very weedy with weed all on the hook with no rust at all.

What im worried about is what if dirt went into it or something as I continued fishing for another 2 hours later without treating it or even washing my hands.

It's a good job I don't use micro barbed Id be in a and e every session

---------- Post added at 23:19 ---------- Previous post was at 22:20 ----------

I am freaking out now :( it did go quite deep :weep:

---------- Post added 19-06-16 at 00:12 ---------- Previous post was 18-06-16 at 23:19 ----------

It's like a pin prick and looks sealed now but I'm worried as the hook went quite deep In not massively but about 3 quarters of an inch

Lockey1995
19-06-16, 10:44
Anyone?

Beckybecks
19-06-16, 11:46
I'd say that if it doesn't appear red or inflamed and isn't painful, you've done the right thing by applying some ointment, it doesnt sound like there's a problem at all.
As you say, fortunately there were no barbs.
If dirt got in and caused an infection, there would be inflammation and pain. Our bodies are designed to fight a certain amount of bacteria.
I doubt you have anything at all to worry about.

Lockey1995
19-06-16, 12:30
I thought it doesn't inflame with tetanus?

Beckybecks
19-06-16, 12:36
It wasnt a deep or dirty wound though was it? Or a rusty object that caused it?
If you're concerned then go and get a booster tetanus jab. That will put your mind at ease.

Lockey1995
19-06-16, 13:27
Well the hook point went quite deep yeah the hook was clean and made from carbon not metal I was just concerned as it was in the lake I had all my vaccs when I was younger and the tdap at 15

---------- Post added at 13:27 ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 ----------

By deep do you mean how far it went or a bigger wound the point went quite far in as I said

Beckybecks
19-06-16, 13:59
Yes I did mean the depth of the wound, how far it went in.

I'm not a Doctor which is why I've said, if you're at all concerned, go and have a tetanus jab.

But if everyone who pierced their skin went for tetanus shots there would be a lot of them!

I just know from experience that the only time I've been given one was where I had a bad injury caused by something dirty.

Lockey1995
19-06-16, 14:31
Ok three quarters of an inch was an exaggeration most of the hook would have been in there here's an image of the hook and where my nail is is how far it went In.

http://m.imgur.com/baCOWgv

Beckybecks
19-06-16, 14:37
Looks very little to me. Like I said I'm not a doctor. Personally if that happened to me I wouldn't give it a second thought. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

MyNameIsTerry
19-06-16, 14:53
My dad was a landscape gardener for over 40 years, still is part time since retirement. His hands & arms were frequently covered in cuts and was pulling thorns out.

How many times have I cut myself? Loads.

If it's appears infected, see a GP, but otherwise I'm sure you will be fine. Like Becky says, they would be crammed with constant tetanus boosters. I remember having one when young but never since and I'm 40 now.

Isn't it more rusty, filthy things to be careful of?

Lockey1995
19-06-16, 15:26
I think so but it did come out of a weed bed winding it in I took all that off though was waiting for it to dry to put another pva bag on picked the ******* up by the Pop up and the lead slid off the side followed by a loud an ouch as it went in

---------- Post added at 15:26 ---------- Previous post was at 15:12 ----------

Would the cut look infected if you had tetanus? Or bacteria in there or doesn't it cause anything visualy?

Fishmanpa
19-06-16, 15:46
You're up to date on your vaccines right? I know you are :) So you're good, no ifs, ands or buts.

Hey... at least this wasn't a poo thread!

Positive thoughts

Lockey1995
19-06-16, 17:42
Spoke to my mom apparently I had one in primary school one before high school and the one tdap at 15

---------- Post added at 17:42 ---------- Previous post was at 17:16 ----------

So you think this is another irrational worry?

Fishmanpa
19-06-16, 18:29
What steps are you going to take to get help with your anxiety?

Positive thoughts

Lockey1995
19-06-16, 20:45
Ive just filled in the paper they gave me with multiple choice questions, so you think this is another irrational fear?

Fishmanpa
19-06-16, 21:31
Ive just filled in the paper they gave me with multiple choice questions......

Good going!... make sure to get that submitted and follow up! As far as the question you're asking? You tell me.....

Positive thoughts

Lockey1995
20-06-16, 16:31
Yeah my anxiety is bad on everything atm :(, I now popped a little spot on my arm and it has a red circle on it it some sudocrem on it now im convinced I'll get blood poisoning this is how my mind works atm :(. I need to stop popping things I think it's making me depressed as when I pop them on my face they spread

---------- Post added at 16:31 ---------- Previous post was at 16:22 ----------

How an earth do you stop such a spiral