PDA

View Full Version : HI!

tracyp584
05-10-04, 18:56
Hi!
Have just found the website and am finding it a huge help. Have been suffering with panic and anxiety for over a year now. Good to know i am not alone!!

I am having a bad patch at moment, and hate taking kids to school everyday, as i had a panic attack there before. Really don't know what else i can do to help myself. Feels like the light at end of tunnel has gone out!!

tara
05-10-04, 19:08
Hi Tracy, I was diagnosed with panic and anxiety a year ago too, although I've had it for many years and didn't know what it was, I just thought I was weird!! It's really common to want to avoid a place when you've had a bad experience before, it's kind of a protection thing, that if you go it might happen again and you want to avoid it !! My anxiety levels would hit the roof if i had to go upstairs!!! I had my worst panic attack upstairs in my bedroom, and upstairs in my house became a place I wolud avoid. I would go outside to the loo (as i have a outside loo) and for 2 weeks after my panic i couldn't even stay in my own house, i had to sleep in my in laws. But it really will get better in time, you are not alone, i thought that too before i found this site, i never believed that anyone else had gone through what i had, but they have!!! Tara xxx

Rennie1989
05-10-04, 19:12
hiya tracy

welcome to the site

dont worry your not the only one suffering panic and anxiety, infatc i have the same as you :D

hope ur coping well now

Scooter Girl

if i was hungry would you feed me, if i fell you help me up, if i was crying would you brush away my tears

tracyp584
05-10-04, 19:13
Thanks Tara! Its amazing what a difference it makes when you realise that you are not the only one! Its just so hard to get your head round, when you feel like someone else has taken over your body?! I can't believe how i feel as i have always been so confident before. I just feel so NOT me!! If you get me!

Anyway, take care

Tracy x

tara
05-10-04, 19:20
Hi Tracy, when i was first diagnosed i didn't had access to a computor and i really did feel alone. I felt exactly the same way as you, I was not myself I was another person, my confidence had hit the floor, my head was some where else, it just wasn't me!!! It's taken me a year to get where i am today, i'm not the person i used to be (and i don 't mean that in a bad way at all!!!!!) i've changed. I'm still on the road to recovery but i have much more good days than bad days now and thats good!!! Tara xxx:)

tracyp584
05-10-04, 19:34
Glad to hear that! I know what you mean about changing as a person, I feel that when i finally back on track, i am not gonna be the same. I might learn to say no sometimes to other people, without feeling guilty! Instead of taking on too much. Time to look after number 1 perhaps!!

Tracy x

tara
05-10-04, 19:38
LOL, i'm another one who can't say no, feel terrible if i do! Still haven't learn't that one yet. Tara xx

tracyp584
05-10-04, 19:42
Well, perhaps that'll be this months challenge??! Worth a try,but it'll be as easy as getting my husband to understand my panic attacks! Say no more!! Tracy x

tara
05-10-04, 19:48
Hi tracy, I think unless you've experienced anxiety and panic you relly don't know how it feels!! No matter how much you try to explain to them, they just don't know the feelings we get. It's like they could never understand being pregnant or giving birth LOL they are there for you but don't know what your going through. Tara xx

Meg
05-10-04, 19:48
Tracy ,

Welcome to the site.

I'm sure by reading here you know that the school where you had your panic attacks has nothing to do with you having one again there - where and when you have your panic attacks are controlled by what you are thinking at any given time.

The way to get over the fear is going to the school and sitting there whilst anxious, distracting yourself and waiting for the anxiety to pass and changing how you think about your visits there and then doing it again and again.

We are here to support you through this , what happened to start these off originally ?

What sort of treatment/ help have you had so far ?

Meg

It is impossible to get out of a problem by using the same kind of thinking that it took to get into it.
- Albert Einstein.

tracyp584
05-10-04, 20:02
I had cbt for about 6months, and it really helped. But all of a sudden all the feelings have come back, out of nowhere. I know everything i SHOULD be doing, but am finding it impossible to do. I know i should sit it out when i feel it coming, but just can't. Any excuse to avoid and i'm there. I am thinking of trying hypnotherapy maybe to help. As for where all this anxiety came from, I have no idea.! Other than kids, and the normal stresses of family life! Tracy x

seh1980
05-10-04, 20:04
hi Tracy,

Welcome to the site!! You are definetly in the right place - I'm sure you will find loads of help and support here!!

Sarah :D

nomorepanic
05-10-04, 20:12
Hi Tracy

Welcome to the website and forum - you will get loads of support on here and we will help you all we can. I see you have already had a good chat with Tara so that is good.

I have suffered from panic and anxiety for 11 years now but I am much better this last year.

The only way to overcome it is to keep on doing it and doing it till it gets boring and you don't panic.

Did you find Meg's "First Steps" post under the Welcome topic - there may be something in there that you haven't tried that may help.

Look forward to hearing more from you.

Nicola

Karen
05-10-04, 21:27
Hi Tracy

Welcome to the forum.

You'll find there are a lot of people in the same situation and you'll get a lot of support here.

Briary

jill
05-10-04, 21:30
Hi Tracy,

welcome to the site,:D

There is light at the end of the tunnel,
I thought the way you feel right now, but now I'm in the light,
with alot of hard work support and time you to will see the
light, you just have to find the right path, and you have come
to the right place. There are lots of nice people here who will
give you lots of support and advice.

Look farward to reading your post.

TAKE CARE JILLXX

May your troubles be less
and your blessings be more
and nothing but happiness
come through your door.

minny
06-10-04, 17:12
Hi Tracy and welcome!

You will find all the help you need here and more! :)

Good luck...Minny..xx