PDA

View Full Version : Do your mental anxiety make you physically tired?

TheHusband
20-06-16, 10:17
As a working mother of three, is it any wonder my wife feels exhausted most days? We lead busy lives and always feel we are rushing around. But...

A chance comment last night got us thinking; maybe her exhaustion is from the mental effort of constantly trying to suppress the health anxiety symptoms - she's always fighting against it?

I know stress (in the mind) can cause people to use up (physical) energy, or even get ill or in pain. I know my daughters fall asleep far more quickly after a day of sitting at school, having their brains taxed. So it is obvious to see a link between anxiety and tiredness?

Frankly, being knackered every single morning, afternoon and evening, is making for a pretty crappy life for her. If I could find out something to make a difference that would be massively important.

I'm also wondering if putting effort into fighting all the normal reasons for working mums to feel tired (i.e. all the things that affect non-anxious people) would be a pointless waste of time.

Shazamataz
20-06-16, 11:33
You sound like a wonderful husband!

Is there any way to lighten her load a bit so she has less stress?

Has she had treatment for her anxiety?

Has she had the usual tests for iron etc that can cause fatigue?

Yes, mental effort can use as much effort as physical so finding ways to reduce the normal stressors is sure to be of help.

She's lucky to have you :)

pulisa
20-06-16, 11:45
Indeed she is! Relentless mental anxiety causes overwhelming fatigue.

ankietyjoe
20-06-16, 14:27
Indeed she is! Relentless mental anxiety causes overwhelming fatigue.

+ all the numbers

It is unbelievably fatiguing. Like nothing I've ever experienced.

Fishmanpa
20-06-16, 15:05
My first wife suffered from severe depression. I saw what you're seeing for years and it was gut wrenching. It's tiring enough to work full time and have a household to maintain as well as children, but add mental illness to the mix and it's a nightmare that's hard to wake up from. I basically took care of everything as she was not able to much of the time. I felt helpless as she refused to get help :(

I can tell you from my own personal experience that when I was dealing with depression after my health issues, I felt exhausted much of the time and had little motivation to do anything at all. It was a struggle just to get out of bed some days. One on one therapy, a self instituted CBT course and meds helped dig me out of the hole and I've not looked back.

Can you speak to her about getting some help?

Positive thoughts

TheHusband
21-06-16, 18:03
Thanks everyone, I am (as you say) an excellent husband.

My wife is on Citalopram and has dabbled with CBT. Things are much better than when they were at their worst. So this isn't a question about treatment; it's about life.

Someone mentioned I could try to lighten her load but there isn't much scope for that; I'm doing quite a lot, and many things are out of my control. If all the tiredness stems from anxiety, my redoubled efforts wouldn't make any difference, would they?

Going to work is a tough call; she gets respite from the anxiety at work simply because the job gives her not a second to think about herself. But it is gruelling and exhausting. Sitting at home would make her ponder new illnesses more.

I can at least reassure her that fellow sufferers feel the same fatigue. Has anyone beaten the fatigue, even if you haven't beaten the anxiety?

pulisa
21-06-16, 18:12
If there's no medical reason for the fatigue you just have to ignore it and carry on as normal. I've always done this and have come to no harm. Maybe you are doing too much for her at home? Sorry if this sounds harsh but giving anxiety attention makes things worse for some people.

Colicab85
21-06-16, 23:16
I have been suffering with overwhelming lethargy and tiredness. I've found that vitamin b, d and omega 3 supplements have helped.

I won't deny that there are days where I'm exhausted still, this is due to having a bad day with my anxiety and googling illnesses. If I have a good day, I find myself with a lot more energy and I feel these supplements are helping with that.