PDA

View Full Version : Do i need medication

SadieJ
20-06-16, 12:33
I have general anxiety and have had for many years and also depression. I can go out of the house no problem, although admittedly i'd rather stay indoors most of the time, i do enjoy going for walks.
I don't work but i volunteer and that's currently 3 days a week, i am fine at socializing there except i always feel like i am counting down the time to get home, as i don't really enjoy speaking to most people. I've been on one date in 5 years, I'm only 35, i've been through a lot including a messy divorce and moving someone new alone but this was 6 years ago, it's completely changed me as a person.

Everyday isn't dreadful for me, i can still smile and enjoy some aspects of life, but ultimately i feel a bit empty and down. I am still grieving for my mother and have many unresolved issue's with my family which add to me feeling like this.
How do you know if medication is what you need? I can see so many on here have experiences and a lot of knowledge about different medications, i guess i would like to know if and how they have helped you and if it is ultimately something i will need to help me move forward.

Sadie

keggsy
20-06-16, 14:03
Everyone is different and needs different therapy. In my experience, no medication is a perfect solution on its own, though combined with other therapies such as CBT, they can provide relief for many.

I'm still on medication after 2 and half years. Difficult to say how much it has helped - that will be more apparent when I try and wean off at some point.

Like you, some days are better than others and I can do about 80% of what I used to do before I got ill. Some days are a struggle though, mainly through aches, pains and low mood from poor sleep.

Tims
21-06-16, 00:28
Hi Sadie
It sounds like youre going through a tough period and maybe need some relief in the short term, this is where meds could help. As keggsy says, therapy can really help too and is always a better alternative if it works for you.

SadieJ
25-06-16, 22:33
Thank you both. Its something I am considering I am due a chat with my doctor and will hopefully be able to settle on what would be best for me at this time.