PDA

View Full Version : What are the techniques you all use to get out of panic mode?

Hivenburs
20-06-16, 14:24
It would be interesting to here from everyone how they help themselves get out of that horrible state

ankietyjoe
20-06-16, 14:26
Lay down, slow breathing, tell myself it'll pass. It's never failed so far!

The trick is to not let one panic attack turn into another one, then another etc.

peoplelikeus
20-06-16, 14:26
I go for a walk. Try to cool down. Think nice calm thoughts.

Tell myself I'm not dying.

Then if none of that works, take my meds.

Gemsi84
20-06-16, 21:07
I use a technique that my therapist told me about, whereby I commentate everything that's going on around me. Such as I can see a lady in a pink top walking towards me, I'm passing by a lamppost, I'm walking at a medium pace... Anything you can see in your surroundings. Especially helpful for feeling panicky when driving!

Tims
20-06-16, 21:22
Some good tips here. Another one is think of the panic attack as a wave, try to ride it instead of fight it, you'll see it disappears.

Hivenburs
20-06-16, 21:35
If I use these tips should the panic attacks last a lot shorter?

ankietyjoe
20-06-16, 23:09
If I use these tips should the panic attacks last a lot shorter?

Eventually yes. The most important fact to teach your brain is that the feeling will pass, and that nothing is actually wrong.

Instead of a self sustaining panic attack that lasts an hour, or several hours they'll usually pass in a matter of minutes.

Also, teach yourself to think 'so what' if another one might happen, because it probably will. Worrying about it can only make it worse! :)

Samsicle418
24-06-16, 04:36
These are excellent ideas, thank you everyone! I love the idea of commentating while I'm driving. I have been getting super serious panic attacks recently that make me pull over so many times. I'm really looking forward to using some of these techniques next time I feel this way.