View Full Version : Health Anxiety and Flying

claire_2910
20-06-16, 20:14
I'm due to get on a flight to Cyprus on Wednesday. The past 3 flights I have cancelled I'm so determined but so scared its 4.5 hours in total. I've flown before but I'm fearful of the "what if" scenario eg what if I have a panic attack. I have Hypoglycemia so worrying about my blood sugar so taking a packed lunch but I also have fear of choking so can only eat mushy food on planes and also worrying about my breathing. I know the end results are just panic or anxiety but it scares me so much. I have planned to keep occupied with things to do but this is a safety behaviour I want to be free from health anxiety. I have a fear of enclosed spaces too so what if I panic and I want to get off - I can't...

A part of me wants to not go, I have a choice but I don't want to be defeated I do want to go but I feel so unwell.

I have some Valium I can take but I'm anxious about taking it if I take it I'll be fine .... I've done it before!

LeFi_81
21-06-16, 13:57
You can do it Claire!

I too am particularly scared of flying. Especially since we fly with our little children. Still, think about all the hundred of thousands of planes taking off and landing safe EVERY day.

The scary part of flying is not being able to control it. So just trust in the pilot and assistant to do their work. Pray if you can. It helps!

Then make it as nice as possible for yourself. I love reading trashy romance novels and indulge in a good story when I am doing something that draws me out of my comfort zone. Like a visit to the dentist or yeah...flying.

Perhaps you have some calming music to take with? At least have a something small that gives you courage. A necklace or a small Bible?

I recently saw some photos of Cyprus and it looked awesome there! I plan to fly there myself as soon as I can!

Keep calm and carry on. It will be fine!

jimsmum21
24-06-16, 00:43
Claire, I do hope your not reading this because your having a lovely time on holiday, I just won't fly anymore, it's cruising for us :), but I so wish I could, my daughter is getting married next year, and at first she wanted to get married abroad, but because I said I wouldn't be able to go she decided to stay here, which makes me feel so guilty, I did tell her i was fine and fully understood, but she said she wouldn't contemplate doing it without me there (her Dad died 7 years ago, so I'm her only parent), I'm sure if you've managed to fly this time then hopefully this has opened the door for you, this anxiety really is a bummer xx

Worrywonka
26-06-16, 02:32
Hope you made it for the vacation! And looking forward to hearing that it all went ok!