PDA

View Full Version : Green snot (sorry tmi)

Lissy43
16-03-07, 15:18
We all have a viral infection, My 4yr old son started with it 9 days ago, dr has seen him and its viral. Cough, cold. sore throat, temp, headache, sore eyes, etc... we all have it but thankfully starting to get over it slowly.

My 17 mth old daughter and I both have green snot when we blow and its all in my throat aswell. Does this mean infection or am I worrying over nothing? is green snot not always a bacterial infection and how would I know if it was?

My daughter was checked over today and even though she has green snot dr said it is just viral but I always thought green meant infection. He agreed green isn't normal but that was all he said. He wasn't my usual dr, was foreign and I did find him a little hard to understand tbh.

Am I worrying over nothing about green snot? I always worry it will lead to meningitis or something. My head and ear hurt today. Im seeing my usual dr monday about self help cbt books so i will mention this if im still poorly. We have all had it 7-9 days now.

normalwisdom
16-03-07, 16:13
My son has been ill this week...which he kindly gave to me and his dad:mad: , and yes he has had the "green snot" too. He had it for about 3 days and it is almost cleared up now. I really wouldn't worry about it my son has it often and he has only been on antibiotics once, that was due to an ear infection brought on by the cold. If your daughter has been checked over then I wouldn't worry about it.

Hope that helps:huh:

Lissy43
16-03-07, 18:43
Thanks Steph:-)

Quirky
16-03-07, 19:03
Hi there,

I had "green snot" last time I had a cold too and I always thoght it meant infection so I asked my doctor for advice. She said that yes it can mean infection but most infections are viral not bacterial so antibiotics won't help. It's really just the body clearing the virus and doing it's job. Unless it gets worse or continues for ages it's nothing to worry about usually.

LJ

Lissy43
16-03-07, 22:20
Thanks so much LJ.

Quirky
16-03-07, 22:26
You're welcome :)

When I last had it it took 2 weeks to clear but it did clear in the end. As you say though if it's not better by Monday mention it to your usual gp at your appt for peace of mind.

I hope you all feel better very soon and have a relaxing weekend.

LJ

Lissy43
17-03-07, 10:33
Thanks so much, its less green today so I must be getting better although my head and eyes feel so full of it. Yuk!

Quirky
17-03-07, 11:10
Glad it's clearing Cherry :)

Take care

LJ

Sheik N Shimmy
21-03-07, 14:05
Thanks so much, its less green today so I must be getting better although my head and eyes feel so full of it. Yuk!

Maybe it was something to do with St Patrick's day :foot:

Lissy43
21-03-07, 14:37
Maybe, lol!