PDA

View Full Version : Up and down

Mugs
22-06-16, 00:37
Hi
How is it that I can feel so normal for part of the day and then all of a sudden I feel so anxious for no apparent reason.
Does this ever get better?
In the past a benzo would help this but that is no longer an option for me.
Do I just have to wait it out?
Thanks for any help at all:weep:
Mugs

rcs
22-06-16, 01:33
Yes me too I can go to bed feeling relaxed and wake up 4 hours later and feel very anxious. It can change but generally I feel worse in the morning and worry about the day ahead I sometimes take propranolol (beta blocker) but even they can leave me a bit spaced out and dizzy. I am better when I am busy and wake up and just go but if I get less than 5-6 hours sleep I suffer and worry about everything insomnia ,health etc.
I think some of these symptoms come and go and I am coping at the moment.
Anxiety can come over you when things apparently are going well and you think am I mad there is no obvious trigger for it , hopefully with experience and treatment you work out a path and get some kind of equilibrium and life can be quite good.

Take care:)

Shazamataz
22-06-16, 02:02
Hi Mugs,

I expect that after having such bad anxiety for so long it will take a while for your mind and body to 'forget it' to forget the habit of being anxious.

It's big progress for you to have periods of feeling normal and the more these continue they will get longer and the anxiety when it comes should be more manageable.

That's what I experienced over past months, like re-learning to feel normal as I think when it's really bad it becomes like a default setting or something.

Unfortunately I'm nearly at a week of being really bad again, as bad as earlier in the year but the fact that I survived that period and things did improve gives me hope and motivation to get this better sooner.

Hugs

---------- Post added at 13:02 ---------- Previous post was at 13:01 ----------

PS I feel my anxiety comes out of the blue as well. It's fairly constant right now but the surges seem to have no logic to them. I wonder that it's thoughts we aren't even aware of.

MyNameIsTerry
22-06-16, 06:17
It's always been a frustrating element of my GAD from the beginning. The first half of my day would always be worse but I do also get periods later in the day where things seem to get worse for a bit. I've found that food, huger, dehydration, etc can play a part in these later spells though. Sensitisation issues don't help with things like that.

It certainly can get better or no one would ever recover. It's very frustrating though because you feel like each day you wake up again in Groundhog Day!

Cortisol is always highest when we wake and naturally reduces over the day. I did think this may be an issue for me but I've never gotten to the bottom of it because there is a great big hole in this reasoning - some people say they are worse in the 2nd half of their day and that's when Cortisol is winding down.

Mugs
22-06-16, 06:43
Thanks everyone.
I know I'm really anxious about seeing a new Pdoc on Thursday.
I have had no real luck with any of the meds I've tried so I'm afraid of what will be tried next.
No meds would be good but I don't think that's possible anymore, unfortunately.
Mugs

MyNameIsTerry
22-06-16, 06:56
I would feel the same, Mugs. Each time I start a med, two so far, it's always been hard because of the side effects. When I relapsed I had been med free for about 6 months and I was dreading starting a new one after the first time. I knew I had to do it, but it was scary and I knew it would be weeks of extra suffering.

I think it's important to be realistic with med start up. The first time I panicked as I didn't know what was happening. The second time I knew it could be hard going, and it was even worse, but I knew it was just a matter of taking my lumps and getting to the other side.

That sounds easy now. But I remember the despairing thoughts of going through that again. So, whilst I can't know how you truly feel (I think we tend to forget how bad anxiety can feel at it's worst when we are in recovery, it's just not the same anymore) I can remember the mess I was and you have my support as well as my empathy for it.

There's no shame in needing meds. People pop OTC's for the simplest of things without a care. We shouldn't feel guilty for needing help, mental health issues are serious, far more serious than those coughs & colds millions of people see their GP's about without berating themselves over it. :winks:

Mugs
22-06-16, 23:26
Thanks Terry
I have no shame in taking meds, I just fear the side effects and also fear nothing will ever work for me. I've lost myself completely and my family are scared too.
I have always been the one to organize everything, family gatherings and trips etc. it's been over 2 years since I felt well conststantly.
The family are starting to move on in spite of me.
I'm worn out and lonely too.
Praying for the new doc to have an idea to help me.
Thanks
Mugs

---------- Post added at 22:24 ---------- Previous post was at 22:23 ----------

That's consistently, sorry.

---------- Post added at 22:26 ---------- Previous post was at 22:24 ----------

I'm going to try a new yoga class this evening even if I'm full of anxiety, and hope it helps.
Tomorrow will be rough waiting for my appointment which isn't until 3PM.