PDA

View Full Version : Am I ready for work?

Andy1718
22-06-16, 07:18
Ok so I am on cit now for 30 days. Do I feel any different? Yes and no. Still have an underlying anxiety. Not intense but it is there. Still having plenty of negative thoughts. Anxiety is up and down from nothing as long as I am busy to heightened if I think about work. Unsure whether it's too early to tell if the cit is working? Do I give it more time? Not trying to think about this just taking each day as it comes but eventually I have to go back to work. The very thought fills me with anxiety but I think I need to bite the bullet and just do it. My concern is it might set me back further. Will I know when I am ready? Do I wait till I have no anxiety symptoms then go back? Do I get to the point where there is no anxiety or am I just supposed to just manage it better? I have been doing CBT, reading, meditation and have a much better understanding of my condition. I feel I am better prepared than before but not 100%. I know people are saying don't but a timescale on it but inevitably I will need to go back to work at some stage.

Mojo61
22-06-16, 08:19
In my opinion you are nowhere near ready to go back to work Andy, and if you did you would be right back to square one within a couple of days I think. The thought of work still fills you with anxiety and dread so how do you think you would cope with actually being back there full time?

My cousin has just gone back to his job part-time - he's been off work 8 months with anxiety. Have you spoken to your bosses about this? What is the situation regarding long term sick leave?

Andy1718
22-06-16, 08:29
Yes i have spoken to my boss, but being in education they keep their distance so not to further upset or rock the boat. I get 6 months full pay and 6 months half pay, so no issue there. I have to see my GP in 10 days so will reassess then. I feel like I would like to go back but my anxiety is still there about it so going to hold off and try to focus on getting better rather than when i go back.

Shazamataz
22-06-16, 08:30
I agree with Mojo, even though I don't know you very well. The fact that you are feeling so anxious about work means going back could make things worse.

My own experience is that when this started for me I was only taking off work week by week and was in a constant state of dread about going back. When I did go back after being off a month, my panic attacks returned and then after being given more time, I just wasn't ready to go back. I ended up being forced to quit.

Looking back, if I knew what I know now I would have asked for 2-3 months off and maybe things would have been better for me.

---------- Post added at 19:30 ---------- Previous post was at 19:29 ----------

Just saw your post. It's amazing you can get 6 months with full pay! I say take as much of it as you need!

debs71
22-06-16, 11:59
I would agree with others here.

30 days is only 4 weeks, which is very, very early days in terms of since starting medication. The side effects alone can take weeks to settle and the drug then start to REALLY take some effect.

From what you say in your post, I get the feeling that you have serious doubts yourself about whether you actually are ready to return to work, and I think this is a clear indication that you aren't. If you are still struggling with up and down anxiety, work and any pressures there (working in education isn't an easy job) could exacerbate things for you or set things back again, which will be counterproductive to you feeling way better.

There is no right time when it comes to going back to work. It is very subjective, and you will just feel and know when you feel stronger and resilient enough to face it again. I myself did not return to work for 18 months. I had a complete breakdown after weeks of depression and panic attacks/anxiety, but I also had a physical ailment which lingered on and on, so things were kind of lengthier for me, but when I did return to work, I really was well enough to do so. These things can take time.

It is great that you at least have the comfort of the leeway of 6 months. If I were you, I would give yourself as much time as you require to reach the point of being in no doubt you are ready face work again.

wareing77
22-06-16, 15:47
Hey! My experience with being on sertraline and off work with anxiety is that its too soon for you, I tried going back too soon amd it set me back to square one. I was also filled with dread everytime I thought about going back. Eventually I had to give in and not even think about work until I was ready. You will know when that is, for me it was a good 2 - 3 months but I knew it was right when I went back, started with a few hours a day and eventually back up to full time.

Hope this helps

Nick