PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone here sit through panic attacks?

Hivenburs
23-06-16, 08:25
Is it possible when having a panic attack you just sit where you are and go through it? Without moving around or running off? I am going to a friends house soon enough for the first time in a long time and if I have a panic attack I would like to be able to somewhat keep it in, if possible

Shazamataz
23-06-16, 08:41
Yes you can and I have. On a plane for example, you have no choice but to sit there.

Ideally if you wait it out it will settle down as it can only get to a certain level.

Welshgirl1978
23-06-16, 09:07
Have you tried practicing grounding?

ankietyjoe
23-06-16, 11:15
It's definitely possible.

I generally lay on my sofa (or at least sit in a semi reclined position) and slow my breathing down and say my mantra 'this will pass'.

It always does! :)

It would make your life a lot easier if you told your friend about your anxiety, and that if you look distant/go quiet etc it's because you're feeling the anxiety.

Hivenburs
23-06-16, 11:38
I guess I'm kinda new to all this oanic stuff and I need to learn the ropes! Haha. I will do some of the things you guys said and see how it goes :)

ana
23-06-16, 15:01
I've been able to sit through it when I was still in school and/or on the bus, in a car, etc. I find that movement helps, however, so if you can, get up and walk around a bit to release some of that nervous energy.

almamatters
23-06-16, 15:44
It is difficult, but I've managed it in a traffic jam several times, had no choice to be honest. It does pass eventually, i try any kind of distraction technique available at the time.

dally
23-06-16, 22:03
Deep breathing, checking you muscles are not tensed is head jaw shoulders arms fingers.
Distraction (spelling words of things in your vision

LittleMissAlone
26-06-16, 15:44
This has been a useful thread to read, thanks.

:flowers: