PDA

View Full Version : Just joined! NMP was Recommended by a solo traveler

Kshitija Athavale
23-06-16, 21:09
Hello all...

I finally joined today after reading about NMP on the website of a solo female traveler.

I am a freelance German translator and work full time from home.
My husband and I also own a small-scale travel company, which we started just to share our passion for travel with others.
I also am an amateur trekker.

I know in my heart that I love to travel, see new places, meet new people. But recently [since 5-6 months], I have developed the tendency of getting anxiety before leaving for any tour, be it alone or with other travelers.
I think this is because of a particular incident that happened on a Himalayan trek I did last year. One of our group members died from heart failure during the trek. And this has affected me deeply.

I also suffer from homesickness and had to resign from a job and, in the second case, a training abroad just because I wanted to come home.

I find it difficult to detach myself emotionally from my husband and my cat [we have this beautiful male cat for the past five years and I worry about him subconsciously when I am not present at home to look after him].

And sometimes it is also not about my husband or the cat. I just want to be at home; I am ok if my husband has to travel instead of me. I do miss him. But it is still better to miss him while I am at home than to miss him while I am travelling and he is at home.

I particularly find it difficult to distract myself from these anxious thoughts. I keep returning to them no matter how hard I try not to.
I recently cancelled a well-planned trip with my best friend a few hours before we were supposed to board the flight and thus hurt her by giving her the feeling that I cancelled because I did not want to travel with her. I was on a very high dose of antibiotics because of a bacterial infection in my throat and I did not feel confident about taking a 10 day long trip immediately after a 15-20 day long illness.

I have observed that this anxiety is never there if I am travelling with my husband or someone from the family.

I try to confront these feelings by reading blogs of fellow travelers and feel inspired when I read how they face their anxiety issues.

That's all about me for the moment. Hoping to get better in handling these issues with the help of fellow NMP members. :)

venusbluejeans
23-06-16, 21:16
Hiya Kshitija Athavale and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

fduop
26-06-16, 13:47
Good morning Kshitija Athavale. Anxiety is one of those things that can grab hold of you and not want to let go. I suffer from anxiety and panic, which cause me to be a bit agoraphobic. But much like you my anxiety eases some when I do travel with someone else.

Incidents like the one that happened to you can be a trigger for anxiety. The key for me has been doing my best to push through the anxiety and do the things I want and need to do. The thing is not everyday this is going to work. When that happens the thing is don't get down on yourself. Just accept the fact that you are only human and prone to make mistakes.

Best to you Kshitija Athavale and may you have many more journeys to come.

Vanilla Sky
27-06-16, 20:00
Hi and welcome to NMP :)