PDA

View Full Version : Am I being stupid? Scared that a blister is infected.

little.miss.worry
25-06-16, 02:26
Hey, so I don't know if im being rediculous. Earlier today, my shoes rubbed like hell, the usual heel blisters and then I got a skin rub kinda thing on top of my foot. I'm trying to sleep and the skin rub, started to itch. This has made me worry so much, so I took a look at it and around the outside its red and itchy. So I've freaked out. I've put TCP on it. I don't know if I've somehow infected it. And I'm basically scared I'm gonna get some sort of blood poisoning. It's making me feel physically sick the odd thing is, the burst blisters on my heels hurt way more, the skin rub is just itchy. I think its a little swollen too :(

Any advice would be great, thank you

---------- Post added at 02:16 ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 ----------

Okay I just looked and it is really swollen in that area. What am I going to do! Im in a state of panic :'( please help :(

---------- Post added at 02:26 ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 ----------

Also, around the swollen area, its hard :( its not squidy, just hard. :'(

MyNameIsTerry
25-06-16, 05:12
It's a wound site, inflammation is likely. It's going to be sore. Your body will start healing itself which means skin itches.

The hot weather may also cause some itching or soreness too.

If it became infected you would have some visual clues to it. Right now all you are describing is a wound that is typical. Even if it did become infected, it's just off down the docs for a basic course of antibiotics and you would be fine.

I do loads of walking and I've had so many of these so please don't worry (not that I walk in high heels though! :blush:).

little.miss.worry
25-06-16, 12:32
It's a wound site, inflammation is likely. It's going to be sore. Your body will start healing itself which means skin itches.

The hot weather may also cause some itching or soreness too.

If it became infected you would have some visual clues to it. Right now all you are describing is a wound that is typical. Even if it did become infected, it's just off down the docs for a basic course of antibiotics and you would be fine.

I do loads of walking and I've had so many of these so please don't worry (not that I walk in high heels though! :blush:).

Thank you for your response! The only reason I'm worrying is because of the swelling, when you touch it, its hard so it's concerning me :( badly. But thank you for putting my mind at ease a little!

---------- Post added at 12:32 ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 ----------

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/13521207_10208482247925886_1641283852_n.jpg?oh=c53 9c765d521c25f0bd7bed759a044ea&oe=5770D87C

I've also attatched an image. It doesn't look too bad. It's literally just the swelling around it and it really hurts, kinda aches :(

MyNameIsTerry
25-06-16, 12:43
I've had ones that go hard around the wound. If skin rubbed off, this may be skin forming around the edge into a scab. It could even be the skin around it drying out.

When I damaged my big toe I was having a check up for my anxiety so I asked my GP about it because it was pretty swollen and the nail have broken. He said it wasn't discoloured and there was no "heat" in it so it would just heal on it's own.

I would just see how it is in a few days.

---------- Post added at 12:43 ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 ----------

Yeah, I've had ones like in your pic from where I have scraped skin off. It looks like it has weeped some clear fluid and then crusted over hence why it is bubbly looking. The redness is to be expected.

It will likely turn to a scab from here. It may weep a bit too if you rub it because of the clear fluid underneath.

little.miss.worry
25-06-16, 15:05
I've had ones that go hard around the wound. If skin rubbed off, this may be skin forming around the edge into a scab. It could even be the skin around it drying out.

When I damaged my big toe I was having a check up for my anxiety so I asked my GP about it because it was pretty swollen and the nail have broken. He said it wasn't discoloured and there was no "heat" in it so it would just heal on it's own.

I would just see how it is in a few days.

---------- Post added at 12:43 ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 ----------

Yeah, I've had ones like in your pic from where I have scraped skin off. It looks like it has weeped some clear fluid and then crusted over hence why it is bubbly looking. The redness is to be expected.

It will likely turn to a scab from here. It may weep a bit too if you rub it because of the clear fluid underneath.

Thank you so much for replying. My mind is at ease now. Ive currently got my feet in a bowl of salt water though ahaha hopefully the swelling will go and it'll heal soon!

Thanks again!

MyNameIsTerry
25-06-16, 15:17
Good old fashioned salt water. Doctors & nurses still swear by it.

That will certainly help. Excellent for cleaning wounds & promoting healing.

little.miss.worry
25-06-16, 15:33
Good old fashioned salt water. Doctors & nurses still swear by it.

That will certainly help. Excellent for cleaning wounds & promoting healing.

I started feeling a bit better about it but I swear the swelling has gotten worse. I guess prodding the swelled bit won't help but i'm not understanding why it's swelled :(

Fishmanpa
25-06-16, 16:46
"Ouch!" That's a good one you got there! Just a nasty blister is all.
Keep it clean and put some anti bacterial on it and it'll heal.

Positive thoughts

little.miss.worry
25-06-16, 21:33
"Ouch!" That's a good one you got there! Just a nasty blister is all.
Keep it clean and put some anti bacterial on it and it'll heal.

Positive thoughts

Yeah it's really gross and itchy! :roflmao:

MyNameIsTerry
26-06-16, 04:57
I started feeling a bit better about it but I swear the swelling has gotten worse. I guess prodding the swelled bit won't help but i'm not understanding why it's swelled :(

The prodding won't help so try your best to leave it alone. If you feel the need to prod it, occupy your hands with something at that moment and wait for the anxiety to ease.

It will swell and it will swell and change over the course of the night and maybe the next day and the day after that. It's just the natural course of healing and your body knows what it's doing.

Swelling is part of the immune system reaction. Swelling means it is rushing nutrient rich blood to a wound site so that it heals because that site needs more than a normal patch of skin does. That's why you get swelling and bruising, discolouration, etc.

This is why you often hear medical professionals say not to stop something from swelling up but to let it run it's course. In some cases, stopping swelling only prolongs the healing because you are fighting against it.