PDA

View Full Version : Why isnt propanalol used over benzos?

Hivenburs
25-06-16, 19:14
It confuses me as to why benzos are used over propanalol when in the long term benzos make things much more difficult

Mojo61
25-06-16, 19:17
Propranolol doesn't have a sedative effect like benzos do. All it does is slow down the heart and inhibit the release of adrenalin.

Tims
25-06-16, 21:06
For me propranolol just didn't come close to being as effective as benzos. As long as benzos aren't abused there's no need to be too concerned by them.

Louloulou
25-06-16, 23:50
They won't give me propranolol coz I'm asthmatic.

dally
26-06-16, 08:45
Benzos can reduce both mental AND physical anxiety
Whereas propanalol only reduces adrenaline (although that alone can lessen the mental anxieties for some people.
Also
Propanalol cannot be used by people with low BP and asthma

Benzos can

MyNameIsTerry
27-06-16, 06:28
They won't give me propranolol coz I'm asthmatic.

Have a read, there are alternatives to Propranolol with asthma. Propranolol seems to be changing too since evidence of it being used to actually treat asthma is emerging:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=185135

Shazamataz
27-06-16, 06:42
Have a read, there are alternatives to Propranolol with asthma. Propranolol seems to be changing too since evidence of it being used to actually treat asthma is emerging:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=185135

I'm going to speak with the psychiatrist about this as I am asthmatic and have been told I can't take propanolol. Am on a low dose of bisoprolol instead which did initially bring my heart rate down but it does nothing for all the other adrenaline symptoms as it only acts very specifically.

People seem to find propanolol super helpful with the physical anxiety symptoms. I get wheezy and feel I cant breathe when my anxiety is high anyway. Imagine if it actually HELPED the asthma!

MyNameIsTerry
27-06-16, 06:58
I'm going to speak with the psychiatrist about this as I am asthmatic and have been told I can't take propanolol. Am on a low dose of bisoprolol instead which did initially bring my heart rate down but it does nothing for all the other adrenaline symptoms as it only acts very specifically.

People seem to find propanolol super helpful with the physical anxiety symptoms. I get wheezy and feel I cant breathe when my anxiety is high anyway. Imagine if it actually HELPED the asthma!

Well that's the funny thing, if you look at the links I posted in dally's thread there are studies showing Propranolol didn't negatively impact and did help with the asthma! So, I guess it's just new science and licences will need to change in the future if it becomes accepted.

A psychiatrist will be off labelling things all the time and breaking with convention so they may have a more educated opinion on this from following research whereas GP's will quite rightly be cautious and wait for licencing to catch up with something listed as detrimental like this.

There's always the other beta blockers too. If any of them could help with anxiety, perhaps they are worth a try? Pipkin mentioned they don't but he didn't explain what that was based on so it could be opinion, anecdotal or proper research, I don't know.

They certainly can prescribe Propranalol for asthma sufferers as the NHS state they do it on occasion. Any med can be prescribed despite warnings if the clinical need outweighs the risk. I guess the level of severity of the asthma, and any other conditions, will play a crucial role in any decision like this.

Pipkin
27-06-16, 21:04
My comments were based on rather a long conversation I had with my doctor about different beta blockers which all have slightly different actions, even if they're in the same category. It's certainly not my area so I can only go on what I was told.

As far as I remember, it was something to do with the blood-brain barrier, selectivity and modes of action, some of which are much more effective at reducing physical anxiety symptoms. I recall him saying that the more selective drugs were less likely to exacerbate asthma but were usually less effective for anxiety. By the depth of his knowledge, I suspect that he has personal experience of the issue but I obviously didn't ask.

The two he said were most effective were propranolol and oxprenolol. I started with oxprenolol and it was excellent. However, the immediate release tablets were discontinued in the UK and, as I only take them as needed for a quick effect, the slow release weren't suitable. I swapped to propranolol which works but not as well as oxprenolol.

I have asthma and don't usually have a problem, just occasionally some mild wheezing. The reason to be cautious is that not only can beta blockers bring on symptoms, but they can also make reliever inhalers less effective as they have competing actions. To test, I started on a low dose and built up.

One thing to note, if you take propranolol before bed, you can have the most disturbing dreams and unsettled sleep. I thought this was a coincidence until I went back to look at the information leaflet one day and saw it as a side effect. It can also make you quite tired and cold at higher doses. Of course, if it works for anxiety, these could be worth tolerating.

Hope that helps. Not particularly scientific but my experience. To be honest, I'm not too interested in the mechanics, just how safe and effective different treatments are. And as with most things relating to mental illness, what works for one person may not work for another. Trial and error!

Pip

iwantpeace
01-07-16, 07:38
i have a normal bp 11 over 7
took it once, it slowed my heart rate,
after i while of standing my blood pressure
dropped and i fainted.
never gonna take it again in my life.

Mugs
01-07-16, 07:42
I guess you fainted with a BP of 11/7!:huh::)

iwantpeace
10-07-16, 07:36
I guess you fainted with a BP of 11/7!:huh::)

no, propranolol made it drop in very low levels. and i fainted.

Hivenburs
10-07-16, 08:50
How much did you take?

iwantpeace
27-02-17, 14:23
How much did you take?

half a pill, but i was relatevly dehydreted and tired, fortunately it was a bed near me when this happend so i layed there and in 1 minute i was ok again.

Catherine S
27-02-17, 15:13
I guess the origional question asked in 2016 was answered though yes? And it's as MoJo said, benzodiazipams are mind altering drugs whereas beta blockers such as propranolol just calm your system down and block adrenaline.

ISB ☺