PDA

View Full Version : Food Poisoning

NotCool
27-06-16, 22:02
I stupidly ate 2 slices of bad ham.

I have bought it 5 days ago from the Deli, and it was on display, so who knows how long it's been there. After this, I've had it in the fridge since then, ate it once in the meanwhile.

Today, almost 3 hours ago, I ate it again. In toast with cheese, 2 slices, heated in a toaster for 3 minutes. It tasted weird. Gave third slice to my grandmother who later told me that it's spoiled.

That obviously sent me into panic mode. Since then I've made myself vomit manually (fingers in throat) and my good old nemesis hypochondria is attacking me.

How probable is it for me to get serious life threatening food poisoning?

MyNameIsTerry
27-06-16, 23:16
How did it smell? Meat can spoil even before it's date is up and it usually stands out that it smells bad.

Maybe your gran realised it had gone off slightly but it was still fine when you ate it?

You will soon know if you get food poisoning but that doesn't mean it will be anything more than the normal kind.

.Poppy.
28-06-16, 01:45
If it makes you feel any better, I once ate 3/4 of a moldy hot dog bun before I even realized something was wrong. I wasn't any worse for the wear :)

Honestly, it is probably just fine. It may be a bit "off" in taste, similar to sour milk, but that doesn't mean it will harm you, let alone seriously.

Think of all the people in the world who pull ham out of the fridge and eat it, with no idea how long it's been in there! I am notoriously bad at keeping track of how long I've had certain foods (...hence the moldy hot dog bun ;)).

My father is a health inspector and is very thorough about food safety but even he admits that just because something is a few days off doesn't mean it's bad.

NotCool
28-06-16, 12:34
Thanks for replies. It's now been 16h since I ate, and I figure I would have felt something by now.

MyNameIsTerry
28-06-16, 12:43
Thanks for replies. It's now been 16h since I ate, and I figure I would have felt something by now.

Yes, I think you would have spent most of that time in the bathroom.

My cousin had serious food poisoning. I won't say anymore but by 16 hours he was already in hospital. So I think you are fine.

---------- Post added at 12:43 ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 ----------

If it makes you feel any better, I once ate 3/4 of a moldy hot dog bun before I even realized something was wrong. I wasn't any worse for the wear :)

Honestly, it is probably just fine. It may be a bit "off" in taste, similar to sour milk, but that doesn't mean it will harm you, let alone seriously.

Think of all the people in the world who pull ham out of the fridge and eat it, with no idea how long it's been in there! I am notoriously bad at keeping track of how long I've had certain foods (...hence the moldy hot dog bun ;)).

My father is a health inspector and is very thorough about food safety but even he admits that just because something is a few days off doesn't mean it's bad.

I remember reading an article about our legal Use By dates by someone who dealt with food safety and she was saying even those dates are not correct. She said certain things we could never eat after, such as shellfish, but meats could be smell tested and eaten after.

I've eaten Quark cheese 4 days after the Use By safety dates a few times with no problem. I looked up some safety information by manufacturers who gave it a longer safety date than those on the packaging.