PDA

View Full Version : How do I get over the what if?

Hivenburs
27-06-16, 22:56
Really what is stopping me from going to certain places and spending nights away is the "what if I have a panic attack" question... What in the world can I do to get over this? Its really the core of my anxiety.. The what if... Can someone convince me panic attacks away from home are the same as in my home?

Shazamataz
28-06-16, 01:24
By all accounts a panic is a panic and can only reach a certain maximum level so it would be the same wherever you are. The fear of the fear is called panic disorder I believe and can soon become agoraphobia.

As hard as it is the best way to deal with it is to challenge it. Go out, stay until the panic subsides as it always does to come degree. Start with little steps first and build from there.

Phill2
28-06-16, 06:43
Really what is stopping me from going to certain places and spending nights away is the "what if I have a panic attack" question... What in the world can I do to get over this? Its really the core of my anxiety.. The what if... Can someone convince me panic attacks away from home are the same as in my home?

Try saying what if I don't have a panic attack?

MyNameIsTerry
28-06-16, 07:10
Try saying what if I don't have a panic attack?

Yeah, 3-5 positive "what ifs" can help towards changing things. There is an example worksheet here:

http://psychology.tools/what-if.html

Hivenburs
28-06-16, 12:04
I dont think I have panic disorder, I think benzo withdrawl is just kicking my ass at the moment.. But I'm hoping as I get further and further away from my last ativan tablet, this will all stop :) The what ifs are really debilitating though