PDA

View Full Version : diagnosis? how to get the courage to see gp

Lauraallan86
29-06-16, 20:41
so I know I hae been suffering from anxiety/health anxiety for a good few years now I ve looked at tests online and just know I have anxiety I try to ignore it but I cant my health anxiety is starting to get on top of me and my general anxiety is slowly getting worse but the question is how do I go to my gp and tell them? I'm even anxious to do that I have days where I am bad but just march on through and I have days when I ignore it altogether and then I have weeks where I obsess over my health but every time I go to gp an think today is the day I get there and bottle it afraid I'm gong to sound like a complete idiot and there not going to beleive me :shrug: so how did u do it how did u build up the courage to go and say how u feel my mind goes blank half the time

Chocolateface
29-06-16, 21:55
Hi

I went to my gp all headstrong but then just broke down, he was great about it. Also I have been known to go to a gp with things written down so I don't forget anything, in fact the last time I went in with a list my gp made sure every item had been crossed off.
Hope you are able to talk to them and get the help you need

MyNameIsTerry
30-06-16, 04:59
Your GP will be well aware of mental health issues to some extent. I won't lie, sometimes people still come across dinosaurs who don't seem to understand or believe in it but these are a rarity if this forum is anything to go by.

If you think you might back out, and no one will ever judge you on here for this as it's hard to make the step to reach out, write is down. If you find yourself not saying what you want to, hand it over and say 'please read this, I'm afraid and struggling to tell you'. Your GP will likely reassure you at first so you feel comfortable. I told mine how I was feeling and he was fine and explained a bit about it, which helped.

You've made the first step by admitting it yourself. You've even joined here, many would struggle to admit enough to allow themselves to do that at first.

It may feel embarrassing at first but it's likely you will walk out feeling a bit better about it as you have been reassured that your GP doesn't judge you for anything.