PDA

View Full Version : Rapid heart, dizziness & quitting smoking

n3r0x1k
30-06-16, 11:53
Note: Sorry if this contains many questions, I'd appreciate any feedback even if you have time to answer one question or share your knowledge or experience about similar matter. Also, the quitting smoking has nothing to do with the 1st part but I'm just too panicky to write 2 threads.

It's me again. Male, 34, health anxiety, sometimes obsessively, GAD & panic attacks.

To put this short: I have again restarted to be more obsessed with my pulse, obsessed with thoughts of doom (heart attack, heart complications, etc) causing panic attacks, and sometimes the symptoms causing panic attacks or high anxiety. Lately I've had more tachycardia (fast heart rate), and it always seems to come and go, sometimes lasting months. The thing is, in the same 24 hour period, it can be at 108 to 126 bpm when sit, even when not panicking, and then be in the low 60s or 70s around the end of the day. It always seems worse the first few (or several) hours after I get up, and it often causes a great deal of paranoia about heart disease or impending heart complications and a lot of anxiety.

Simple physical efforts, like doing dishes, going out for a walk, all seem "too much" when my pulse is quicker, 'cause then if I stand it goes up to 140-150. I tried beta-blockers about 7 years ago but even cutting small doses got my heart too slow (low 40s, and I am not in shape, and plenty unpleasant side-effects) when usually my heart later in the day would lower in the 60s.

So then I stopped taking them after 8 months (been 7 years) and I've had good phases, but other phases, such as now, the tachycardia scares me a lot. I've done tons of ECG's, echocardiograms, Holters, but every time I was told I was fine except for some sinus tachycardia, sometimes supraventricular tachycardia, and ectopics. I was told that anxiety worsened it but to not worry about it. Yet, I still HEAVILY worry about it. I'm back to checking my pulse about 4 times an hour, and I'm scared if I do any excessive physical effort, like walking too quick WHILE my heartrate is "too fast" could cause me harm.

What I'm wondering is:
1. Is my subsequent very sedentary lifestyle not helping my cause? Would forcing myself to some excercise help the situation?
2. Can I still live with this without impending complications?
3. Can being less obsessed and less scared of my tachycardia make them less worse or maybe even dissappear?

ALSO: I've been smoking 1-2 packs of cigarettes per day for the past 17 years, and a few days ago I decided to quit because I want to put all chances on my side if it contributes to my sinus tachy. Yes, I had phases of tachycardia even before I started to smoke (ages 13-17) but I'm so desperate to feel better AND even if it doesn't help, at least I'll have all the other health benefits from quitting.

I realized it was harder than I thought, added to the fact that quitting causes anxiety to an already very anxious person, so I allowed myself some go-to cigarettes when it gets too hard with the goal of quitting at ZERO by the end of the week. So I've dropped to just a couple of cigarettes a day (I often butt them and light the rest later when I get strong pangs) but now each time I smoke after many hours, it makes my heart beat even faster and I feel nauseous, dizzy, a bit like when you smoke your first cigarette.

But the thing that worries me the most (about quitting smoking) is when I've been a few hours without smoking, especially because I have much less nicotine than usual, I get periods where I'm very dizzy and feeling really awful. Is this normal? I've heard stories about people who quit and they mention getting irritable, cravings, but not feeling dizzy and almost sick-like. I even started worrying maybe my heart wouldn't be able to handle the physical shock of quitting, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'm just so hypochondriac lately (more than usual) and easily have panic attacks, some huge, and always have to (with a lot of effort) convince myself that I'll be okay, that going to the ER (what Europeans call A&E I think) will serve me nothing and I do breathing techniques, etc but I'm still worried as hell and need some reassurance if any of you have lived any of the above or have any insight. Thanks.