PDA

View Full Version : You are not alone

FlyFisher
30-06-16, 16:38
Hello all,
After reading the inspiring success stories, and useful advice to be found on this forum, I thought I would offer my 5 pence worth. My issues with HA started as with a lot of people, in my childhood. On a return from a family holiday I discovered a soft lump on my leg which I concluded was a tumour, and I was unlikely to survive the night. The fact that it is still there 40 years later has not convinced my subconscious self, that the latest health scares in the media are not related to any aches or pains I might currently have. For me, these health scares were episodic, and while being a nuisance, generally dissipated after a couple of weeks. That was until December 15 last year, the day I was resigned to the fact that I was about to die. The ambulance crew who turned up at the train station calmly told me that I had ‘just’ had an anxiety attack. The past 6 months have been a journey that I guess is familiar to a lot of people who read this. Doctor and hospital visits, CBT, mindfulness training, progress, and setbacks.

My CBT therapist suggested this behaviour, is the result of a highly tuned and over-sensitive ‘threat radar system’. It is constantly on the lookout for ANY threat, and it wastes no time screaming in your ear that you are in grave danger. In Dr Steve Peter’s excellent book ‘Chimp Paradox’ the Chimp is your radar system. There is no controlling it, only management tactics are possible. My chimp sits on my shoulder, and is chattering to me most of the day, that I need to go see the doctor – again. As I write this, with some of the physical sensations that you can find on this forum, it’s difficult to ignore its advice. In response for a plea to do something about the sinus-type head pressure I’m feeling right now, I visualise a recent emergency hospital visit, being told by the ER doctor that the CAT scan I just had was perfectly normal.
To all that are having dark days right now, the main thing for me, was professional help. I use the knowledge of the ‘all clear’ test results and the CBT advice, as a shield to protect me from the ‘chimp barrage’ I get some days. I’m confident that in time, coupled with healthy physical and mental practices, my chimp will slowly start to tire of trying to tell me I’m in danger. I wish you all the best on your journeys.

venusbluejeans
30-06-16, 16:44
Hiya FlyFisher and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes: