PDA

View Full Version : Can't find medication that works for my severe state of anxiety.

LiveAboveIt
01-07-16, 02:16
I cold turkeyed Effexor XR 37.5mg that I had been on for about 4 weeks at the request of my doctor, as he was switching me to Citalopram because he thought it would work better for my anxiety. Effexor XR is the only medication that I have taken that actually left me feeling good and has actually semi worked for my anxiety.
I had horrible physical withdrawals from the Effexor XR and bad startup anxiety from the Citalopram. I was on 20mg Citalopram for about 4 weeks and it left me in a very bad state. I had severe cognition impairment and memory issues, was slurring my words and just generally felt like I was on another planet. My thoughts were always racing and I felt almost dissociative from my thoughts.
I again was told to cold turkey the Citalopram and was told I was having a severe adverse reaction to it. I was off of it for about 4 weeks before I had a mental breakdown. At this point my anxiety was sky high and I was having severe intrusive/obsessive thoughts.

I was then put on Zoloft 25mg for a week, then upped to 50mg. I was on 50mg for about 4 weeks and was then upped to 100mg for 2 weeks and then upped again to 150mg. The Zoloft has done wonders for my mood, but hasn't touched my anxiety. I've been on it for a total of 9 weeks. Once again I feel really spaced out, my memory is moment to moment and very poor, and I just generally feel incredibly anxious for no reason at all and feel like I'm losing my mind.
The only thing keeping me partially sane is the .5mg Clonazepam that I was given to take PRN. I generally tend to take it once daily and it helps calm everything down. But ever since the Citalopram, I've been developing constant Pure O OCD symptoms including repeating thoughts, constant subvocalization of inner dialogue, automatically repeating what I or others have said during a conversation, but in my head, etc.
I was diagnosed with GAD, OCD Tendencies, and Major Depressive Disorder. I can't seem to find any medications that have managed to help me cope or manage this anxiety. Even when I'm feeling good, I'm plagued by thoughts and worry about the anxiety, I can't seem to dismiss it from my mind and it makes me feel like I'm batty and the fact that the Zoloft isn't touching my anxiety or OCD worries me that nothing will. It feels like the Zoloft just has me feeling like I'm not me and keeps me in an agitated state. Can't seem to relax at all.

Does anyone any advice or suggestions as to which medications I should try? I'm currently in therapy with a Psychologist for CBT, I'm active and social, but constantly struggling with severe anxiety and intrusive thoughts from the moment I wake up, to the moment I go to bed, but the anxiety is lessened at night a bit and mornings are the absolute worst.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I feel stuck.

Shazamataz
01-07-16, 02:20
Sorry you are having such a hard time!

Me too unfortunately. I've just been given Effexor to start on and see if that helps.

I wonder if you should have stayed on that as you say it was working?

LiveAboveIt
01-07-16, 02:46
It had its moments for sure. I remember having a few days where I felt amazing.. Like, so amazing that I wanted to write reviews on how wonderful the drug was because I had never felt better. But the feeling didn't last and I ended up trying to chase it by increasing my dose too quickly. I probably should have stayed on it for sure, because Citalopram just made me worse and the Zoloft is doing absolutely nothing for anything aside from my anxiety.

Effexor is a great drug and I really hope you do well on it. Just do not ever cold turkey it, make sure to taper slowly to avoid harsh withdrawal.

fiveleaves
03-08-16, 04:52
From reading your post - I think you could augment the sertraline with e.g. quetiapine or pregabalin for anxiety. Or try clomiprimine instead (potentially better for OCD). Personally I find the old MAOI's have fewer side effects than most of the modern AD's (if you don't mind restricting your diet a little).

Also, have you considered that this state of anxiety/agitation could be an expression of a depression that is of a more bipolar "type II" nature, as hypomania can appear as agitation/racing thoughts and often in response to an antidepressant - in which case lamotrigine might be more suitable.

shiznit76
15-08-16, 13:48
Have you tired pregabalin/lyrica?

randomforeigner
18-08-16, 18:20
I believe my dad had a similar situation as yours when I was about ten-fifteen years old. He later started with computer programming, which kept him pretty much occupied all of the time, but I think it helped much with these other issues. I don't know anything about any of those medications you mention, I don't use anything myself, no need to.

skymaid
18-08-16, 18:29
personally the only thing I use is diazepam. but only if I have a big panic attack. the only problem with that is if course you have to be extremely disciplined to not use it everyday or else you get tolerance/addiction/withdrawal.

I dont dare try all those ADs you tried though since im emetophobic.

my shrink suggested lyrica/pregabalin since it doesnt generally have bad side effects but I didnt even dare take that (well I took 1)