PDA

View Full Version : Start my increase tomorrow - feeling nervous!

Mojo61
01-07-16, 18:39
Hi guys. Need some reassurance if possible from you lovely lot. :D

I start my increase tomorrow - been on 10mgs for exactly 3 months to the day then. All was going great to start with (well, had a few ups and downs but feeling a lot better) and then two weeks ago I suddenly came crashing back down and I couldn't pull myself back up again.

Went to my GP who seemed very surprised that I was still in 10mgs, said that's about as much use as a chocolate teapot when it comes to treating anxiety. He said I need 20mgs because that's the therapeutic dose and 10mg is only given as an introduction to get the patient used to side effects.

So, tomorrow is the big day and I have a few questions to ask anyone who has been through the same:

1) Will I get the awful side effects back again? Tbh they weren't as bad as I was expecting on 10mg, but now I'm doubling the dose.

2) How long should I give it before expecting an improvement if one is going to come? I do hope it's not another 3 months :wacko:

3) I'm scared, I'm not afraid to say it. I worry that if I can't manage on 20mg then is all hope lost for me seeing as 10mg pooped out?

4) Opinions on going to 15mg by splitting the 10mg tablet first. Good or bad idea?

5) Any tips for getting through those first couple of weeks?

Thanks for reading, and looking forward to any replies.

pollynewsome
01-07-16, 19:12
Hi i first started out on 10mg for 4 weeks.. Then the doc increased it to 20mg.. yes there was some start up side affects when jumped to the 20mg but nothing worse than i was already feeling.. im now 3 months and 2 days at 20mg.. im having days where i feel almost normal but also days where i still fill horrible.. i have noticed though i am def worse when monthly due. i am planning on giving the 20mg another 4 weeks and if still having bad days may increase to 30mg.. i dont want to though to be honest. i think i was starting to feel much better after the 7 week mark but gradually starting to feel better more often at this mark.i hate the bad days but usually something triggers it and so i can cope with that. Keep strong. x

Mojo61
01-07-16, 19:17
Thank you Polly. I get terrible morning anxiety, to the point when I start dry heaving. If you ever had this did the increase help with that at all?

Becky2785
01-07-16, 19:40
Good luck mojo keep us informed on how you are. I dry heaved when I started 10mg cit for about 2 weeks every morning it was horrible. I hope you are ok and don't get bad side effects thinking of you xx

Mojo61
01-07-16, 19:44
Thanks Becky, I'm kakking myself here lol! :scared15:

pollynewsome
01-07-16, 20:09
Cant help with that one cos never had it.. the only obvious side affect was probably hot sweats and twitching around my mouth.. that was strange but nothing too unbearable. Keep busy that helped me and exercise. x

Mojo61
01-07-16, 20:49
Ooh, I had that weird mouth twitching thing too Polly, I'd forgotten all about that lol!

pollynewsome
01-07-16, 21:32
lol well weird:( x

Shazamataz
01-07-16, 21:33
Good luck Mojo!

I myself am starting venlafaxine today and scared out of my mind about start up effects. Apparently the dose I'm starting on is equivalent to starting on 5 mg of Cit so hopefully they effects won;t be too bad.

I also feel pressure as have tried various things and this feels like my last chance!

Mojo61
01-07-16, 21:57
Good luck Shaz, I'm sure things will soon be much better for you. Please don't give up, recovery is in sight!

Shazamataz
01-07-16, 22:28
Good luck Shaz, I'm sure things will soon be much better for you. Please don't give up, recovery is in sight!

I hope so, for both of us!!!

Mojo61
02-07-16, 07:02
Well I've taken the first one. Now to get through the next few weeks, I need to do this to get better as I'm not coping. Thanks for all your support and kind words xxx

Shazamataz
02-07-16, 07:10
Fingers crossed!

I took my first venlafaxine at lunchtime (it's evening here now) and only noticing some extra edginess now which may or may not be the meds as I'm in a state anyway.

Hope you don't get too many side effects and it all goes smoothly!

Andy1718
02-07-16, 07:10
I was on 10mg for 2 weeks and then increased to 20mg. No other side effects with increase. I am sure it will be fine. Been on 20mg for 4 weeks now. Not noticed any difference in anxiety really. A little calmer but still there. Everyone tells me it takes more time to build up. Even my GP and counsellor said it needs longer. Get no side effects now at all apart from odd metallic taste in mouth and tiredness.

Mojo61
02-07-16, 09:46
Thank you both.

Shaz, I very much doubt it's the meds as you wouldn't be getting side effects already surely? I think because we are so sensitive we blow everything up out of proportion and that makes us even more anxious which causes more "symptoms" and so it goes on...
It's a bloody nuisance, before I had this anxiety I would pop any pill without giving it a second thought! Keep on trucking, you can do this :bighug1:

Andy, thanks for your reassurance about the side effects. I remember when you first started the Cit and were having some really bad times coping with them so I'm gladdened to hear that you didn't suffer with increased SE's when you increased to 20mg. It really is early days for you, they say to give it at least 3 months before you can say it isn't working. You've had improvement though right? Perhaps you just need to give it more time?

Shazamataz
02-07-16, 11:07
Thank you both.

Shaz, I very much doubt it's the meds as you wouldn't be getting side effects already surely? I think because we are so sensitive we blow everything up out of proportion and that makes us even more anxious which causes more "symptoms" and so it goes on...
It's a bloody nuisance, before I had this anxiety I would pop any pill without giving it a second thought! Keep on trucking, you can do this :bighug1:

I expect you're right, though I do remember with one of the SSRIs I tapered off that I could feel it kick in and make me feel even more strange after 3-4 hours like clockwork. And when I eventually looked it up that was the peak plasma concentration time for it.

It's been 10 hours now and I'm trying not to think about it and trying to be optimistic but this evening I am swaying and trembling so much. Feel like I'm drunk and no idea how I will be able to drive anywhere tomorrow :( Though lately I've been better in the mornings and worse later in the day.

Victory2016
03-07-16, 02:30
Good luck Mojo!!!! You will be fine!!! You are strong and your survived on the 10mg for 3 months. Hopefully the increase will kick in faster since you have been on the 10mg for so long and I don't think you will have the side effects like you did at start up. The first two weeks were the worst for me when I increased, but not as bad as when I started.

Mojo61
03-07-16, 12:16
Day 2. Feeling a bit shaky but soldiering on.

Shaz - How are you today?