PDA

View Full Version : Missed heartbeats and terrified!

Pryscil
18-03-07, 00:15
I have had them before went to the ER for them and they didn't even show on my test,but they terrify me so much when they are there I freak and when they are gone I panick about the next time they will happen.My biggest fear about them is that once they start they will never stop or that they will get so intense I'll faint...I am so scared of fainting...
I need reassurance and tips.
Pretzel

Copsgrl8
18-03-07, 00:49
Hello
I am sorry you are feeling this way and I know how scary this is. I deal with it often. I have had so many EKG'sI can't even count and nothing has every showed up.
My Dr. is awesome and so kind hearted when it come to me and my PA's. He has reassured me so many times that everything is ok. I have a fear of fainting also and nothing has ever happened.
Hang in there.
And feel better:)
Just try and relax I know how hard that can be though

Pryscil
18-03-07, 03:11
Terri,you made me smile thank you.I was glad to know somebody else was afraid of fainting...it's like the worst fear and you have absolutely no control over it.
xox Pretzel

Copsgrl8
18-03-07, 03:14
Terri,you made me smile thank you.I was glad to know somebody else was afraid of fainting...it's like the worst fear and you have absolutely no control over it.
xox Pretzel

Well I am glad I could put a smile on your face:)

sometimes knowing your NOT alone makes things seem better.
Hang in there sweetie

spuds
18-03-07, 22:38
I have lots of missed beats (ectopics) and have had ecg's to check them out. As I understand it, if your heart is basically ok (no heart disease) these things are harmless. If you google ectopics it more or less says this (but don't because it will only make you more worked up!), take my word for it. The ecg will pick up any real heart problems - missed beats which come and go are not harmful, although they are very alarming. I have had them for two and a half years since an operation and have really struggled to accept that there is nothing wrong with me and I am not about to drop dead. At times I have been paralysed with anxiety, and it is very unpleasant to feel that pause in your pulse. This site has lots of info about heart sensations and a doctor who answers questions.

http://rlr.qersys.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl

LadyBug
20-03-07, 01:36
Hi! I have had missed heartbeats for the past 6 years...along with palpitations and lots of other harmless heart "things" Don't worry you aren't alone. Most people have these, but don't notice them. Only us super sensative people! :) Just trust...there's nothing wrong you.

xBettyBoopx
20-03-07, 03:26
Hi
If you need reassurance, listen up! I have had them for about 31 years, seriously nearly every day so can't be harmful. I hope this puts your mind at rest. Please try not to worry. Take care.
Elspeth

joolee
20-03-07, 13:11
Hi i have had them also for 4 years now i do still get scared but i am coping better with then now i used to get them every single day all day i was terrified but now i try to ignore them and i hardly get them at all now i still get my bad days like everyone else but i just keep telling myseld IM OK THEY WILL NOT HARM ME and honestly it works hope you feel better soon love julie xxx

shaz01
20-03-07, 21:58
Hi there, I hope you are starting to feel better, I so know how you feel, they are very scary and somedays I think they are all I think about....however I have had them for years and I know they are harmless so we just have to try and be brave........stay strong!!!!!

Shaz x

snoopy
21-03-07, 20:09
Hiya,
I also used to get them all day, every day. They are the worse anx thing i have every had. But they are harmless, promise! I know excatly how you are feeling rirght now!!! Purchase the dr Claire weekes books, and they will eventually disapear! mine did... And i had them for over a year.

Meltdown
26-03-07, 15:11
I get them too. I am currently on propananol, and find that this has reduced the frequency of them. I also find that my state of mind is a major factor. If I'm tired, I tend to get more palpitations, if I am stressed, or have just had an arguement I have tem. Sometimes I get them after thinking that I haven't had any for a while!!!

Trev
26-03-07, 17:50
Purchase the dr Claire weekes books

Sound advice. The best money I ever spent was on Self Help For Your Nerves.

jodie
26-03-07, 18:15
hi

i also gett them every day more so after eating !how about you .
i have had them for 8 years now and had lots of ecg,s tests scans and all came back ok but i still stress over them i think it is just the feel of them when they happen that scares me the most i have stoped going out to partys,and hollidays i am so scred when i get them i just want to be at home !
i do try just to carry on when they are happening but do find it hard .....so i gess you arent allone on this one there seems to be a lot of s with them

hope you are feeling a little better
love jodie xx

angiebaby
28-03-07, 23:48
Hi all, just need some reassurance please. I have been doing good over the past few days and had a really busy, hectic even, weekend and i coped fine. Had a large meal and fell asleep in the chair for two hours, was woken up after a dream with a very fast heart beat and it stayed with me all night. I felt awful today, too scared to do anything again, but managed to do some shopping. Had to do a kids disco tonight and pushed myself to do the party dances, i was sweating like a pig, but i did them! Of course my heart rate was very very high, exercising and that, but i was concentrating on them and nothing else. All of a sudden in the middle of the dancing WHAM a long run of multiple ectopic beats, made me stop and took my breath for a second. I carried on anyway, scared though, and then it happened again. I am so fed up with these things, i know we are all told they are harmless but we are advised to exercise and i was exercising at the time!! Makes me just want to sit in a chair and do nothing because of them! I'm really put out now because i was doing so well and really thought i was getting somewhere and now i'm scared all over again and feel like i've been pushed back to the beginning of it all. I have been having ectopic beats for the past 11 years and since i've had my anxiety and PTSD over the past two years, they have obviously got worse. But i'm so fed up now because of this and i forced myself to do the disco and the dances even though i was scared of my high pulse rate. It just isn't fair. I've had hundreds of ECG's and i've seen a cardiologist and had a 48 hour tape, just showed sinus arrhythmia, pulse slows down when breathing out and goes faster when breathing in, told this is normal, and also sinus tackycardia, when pulse goes over 100 beats per minute. Did not show anything else up. I just want to be back to how i used to be, just like everyone else i suppose. Just wanted some reassurance please from someone who has this on a regular basis and multiple runs, perhaps when exercising etc. Also for my high pulse rate for the past two days, thankyou.x

hoppipolla
29-03-07, 01:47
oh seriously i know exactly what you mean! i have had a really harsh time with palpitations and stuff... it's actually the reason i left uni because i had a really bad one one night ._.

it did actually make me faint and my friend called an ambulance and stuff, but nothing really bad happened it was just unpleasant, and i think that's always the case. :) i mean, the thing is my heart, just like most of ours i think!, is perfectly healthy, and so the chances of anything really bad or permenant or really dangerous happening are v slim to nil i think :)

but yeah you are far from alone. :)

angiebaby
29-03-07, 19:36
Thanks for the reply, they are awful and because i am the way that i am right now it obviously makes it worse. And i probably feel them more too. I know that millions of people get them and they get them a lot more than i do so i suppose that i should count myself lucky, but i feel far from lucky. They do still frighten me, especially when they all come at once for no reason. I wish they would just go away and i would feel so much better i think. x

LEESA
14-09-07, 11:28
hi I hear what you are saying about you have had them for 31 years .Do you have them every ten mins everyday? Only I do its been going on for 8 days now and its begining to worry me! Please reply

ciggs
14-09-07, 12:20
Hi - i suffer realy bad from them too and i get them more when i am tired.
I understand where you are coming from with the fear of fanting too cos this is also my worst fear. So your are not alone.

TracyL
02-10-07, 05:29
Hi Leesa

I sympathise with you hun. I too get them every day sometimes every few minutes. It can be very scary and the more we are scared of them the more we get. I have had 24 hour monitors etc which did pick some up but I was given the all clear and told that they are normal. Hang in there sweetie, you're not alone.

icedragon
18-10-08, 11:12
Hey i posted my huge story on another thread about my ectopics. But to cut a huge story short, mines were due to a vitamin defficiency and also alchohol is toxic to my heart and has made it flabby, so no more red wine for me. Mine did show up on the monitors and were very regular felt light headed and like i would just pass out. But im on Thiamine and vit B now and fingers crossed the palps are dissapearing by the day. as with the anxiety.

Jo-1424
10-11-10, 21:25
I have suffered from GAD since 2003 and missed heartbeats, ectopics...whatever you want to call them, have always been my most hated anxiety symptom. Like so many other people who have posted, I have had them checked out and have had an ECG and everything is normal, but they still have the power to frighten me. Sometimes I go for days or even weeks without them (bliss!) and sometimes they happen once a day for several days. Sometimes there is just one large thud, sometimes a flutter...and I have read all about them, know the reasons behind them, know they won't hurt me, and know that ideally I should just ignore them because most people get them at some point. I can only say - you are not alone - reading these forums helps me enormously because so many people describe exactly how I feel about them and knowing there are so many of us out there is a big support. This is my first ever post - I started to surf the site again tonight because I had a 'flutter' after days of being free from the missed beats. Please just know that ultimately they won't hurt you - I have had them on and off for seven years and am still here!!

sammi
10-11-10, 21:36
I get these and they terrify me. Doc says anxiety is causing them. Still scares me though x

Typer
18-11-10, 23:18
I have had them before went to the ER for them and they didn't even show on my test,but they terrify me so much when they are there I freak and when they are gone I panick about the next time they will happen.My biggest fear about them is that once they start they will never stop or that they will get so intense I'll faint...I am so scared of fainting...
I need reassurance and tips.
Pretzel

I reckon many of us fear fainting. Sometimes I get whoozy if I get too many. I even once nearly did pass out...but it never actually happened.

Its hard not to be scared but that fear does seem to make them worse:

Dont forget to visit RLR's site. Its down right now though...it does that now and then

http://palps.chemicalforums.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl