PDA

View Full Version : Is it wrong to lay on the sofa all day?

Mojo61
03-07-16, 13:14
I'm on day 2 of my increase and feeling sick and shaky. I must get through this because I'm truly sick of feeling so unwell and getting no pleasure from life.

OK, so all I want to do is veg out on the sofa with the TV on and my iPad at my side. But I feel so GUILTY about doing this, as if I should be up and doing things like house work or shopping or washing etc. Don't get me wrong, my house is not dirty because I just can't bear an untidy house, but I just have no motivation and I worry that by sitting around all day I'm not doing myself any favours. Should I force myself to do stuff, or just do what my body is telling me whilst I adjust to this new dose?

23fish
03-07-16, 14:50
Why not do a bit of both while you're feeling so rubbish? Relax and watch TV for a while, but set yourself a tiny target - maybe put the washing on or put a few things away, or go for a 10 minute walk. That way you will feel you have achieved something. These early days are so hard, aren't they. Keep telling yourself these feelings will pass x

Mojo61
03-07-16, 14:59
Thank you! I'm going to go for coffee now with my son. Only McDonald's lol, but it's a start!

23fish
03-07-16, 21:20
That's a great start. I went with my son yesterday for a cheeky ice cream!
Hope you feel better tomorrow x

Noivous
03-07-16, 21:32
Is football on?

Carnation
03-07-16, 21:37
Mojo61,

Can I tell you that when I had my nervous breakdown, I spent a good month hardly doing anything at all. Well, I couldn't anyway.
I gradually started doing a bit more each day, but would do something if I wanted to.
Everything is not going to fall apart because you take time out for yourself.
You need this. Listen to your body and mind. If your body wants to rest, than do so. If your mind is telling you to do something, then it is ok. Maybe do some things that you have never done before or have not done for a long time.
It's a good idea that 23fish mentions. To maybe do a little here and there. I know the feeling of guilt when you feel like you have not achieved anything today or tomorrow, but you have; you are healing and repairing your body and mind and that is far more important.
I remember the first thing I started to do was gardening, then going for walks, then some drawing to eventually things like clearing out cupboards, because I felt like I wanted a fresh start in life.
I had forgotten about me, because I was constantly running around for people, so something like painting your nails, a foot soak, a massage, a picnic, is very therapeutic in recovery.
One thing you can't do is rush your recovery and during your recovery, you will have good days and bad, but it is all recovery, so along the way, make the most of your pleasing yourself. x

KeeKee
03-07-16, 21:38
You are actually feeling this way for a reason (med increase I presume?), when you have a cold do you do everything you would normally do when you aren't unwell? I know I don't, I let myself have a lazy day or 2. I find that even if I get out for a coffee like you said, I feel so much better. Even just a walk to the local supermarket makes me feel like I haven't let my mental health issues win. I find it very difficult to keep up with my housework. We are all clean and well fed, but my house is very untidy (although my partner is a serial hoarder and will not bin things so not due to my depression).
I find when you're depressed or anxious etc you have to allow yourself to mope sometimes, allow a lazy day or you may feel resentful that you are continuously being forced to do something you don't feel upto. Take each day at a time, no doubt you have had lows in the past followed by periods of not so lows, therefore know things will start to improve. I know that guilty feeling though, it's awful but make a pact with yourself that say in a couple of days you will go into town or something (if you are able), then you know this is just temporary. Even people without mental health issues have 'pyjama days' now and again, where they just sit watching TV all day or reading or something.

Mojo61
03-07-16, 21:50
Thank you all so much for your kind words. I did actually do quite a bit today after all. I also managed to cook (and eat!) dinner, which is something I haven't done for ages.

I did sit and watch about 5 episodes of Orange is the new black on Netflix though but I'm trying not to feel guilty about that.

Noivous
03-07-16, 21:59
Sometimes on Saturday I don't get off my ass till mid afternoon. It used really bother me. Now I just accept it. And believe it or not I can get quite a bit done late in the day. Don't over think it. And yes you should consider it being from the medication. Don't put more pressure on yourself.

N.

N.

Shazamataz
03-07-16, 22:18
How are you finding the new season of OITNB? I'm on episode four and finding it a bit dull this season.

I'd say do what you have to do. If you need rest then rest. For me though I notice I feel worse if I lay around for too long ans so always have to force myself to do something, get moving.

I'm on day 3 of new meds. Yesterday was quite good but have woken feeling very strange this morning. But have to drag myself out with the dogs and will hopefully feel better after that.

You'll get there!

KeeKee
03-07-16, 22:18
Don't beat yourself up over it. There have been times during my depression I have felt pretty normal and even then I've binge watched a TV show (especially when I first got into the Walking Dead I think I watched the first 3 seasons in a matter of days). I think guilt is a common trait with depression (I experience it daily as I have a 9 year old whom I love dearly but I just don't feel 'motherly' and it kills me) and anxiety but know you are entitled to do this regardless of whatever ailments you may or may not have. I wouldn't even call it a blip as like I say, I know perfectly normal people (not that we aren't normal) who have had lazy days. Plus it sounds as though this is due to your meds anyway so you've even less to feel guilty about as it's something that needs to happen in order for you to feel better when the medication takes full effect.

Mojo61
03-07-16, 22:40
Thanks KeeKee, I'm only on day 2 of the increase so I'm thinking a few more duvet days might be on the cards shortly :winks:

Carnation
03-07-16, 23:03
There's nothing wrong with a duvet day :)

Victory2016
04-07-16, 00:45
I feel the same way! Guilty for not doing stuff. I have even binged watched Tv shows on netflix as someone else has mentioned. I still have days where I stay in bed most of the day, but esp in the beginning/dose increases, so don't beat yourself up. You need to to relax and heal. I find if I do to much or push my self I actually feel worse.

Suziewuzie
04-07-16, 18:16
Absolutely nothing wrong with it at all Mojo! And if you find it enjoyable to sit & binge watch TV shows then take that as a good sign! I remember not looking forward to anything at all or finding pleasure in anything at all, and I couldn't even watch TV because my concentration was non existent. Then I started watching Greys Anatomy & actually started looking forward to curling up on the sofa with a big cup of tea and watching it for hours. If it's making you happy then it's important that you do it!! X

Mojo61
04-07-16, 18:21
Thanks Suzie. I'm not good today (day 3 of my increase) feeling so depressed and unmotivated with dreadful brain fog. I'm sick and tired of this f****** thing, there's no happy medium is there, no continuity?

Sorry for the whinge, it has been a horrible, horrible day.

Suziewuzie
04-07-16, 20:26
I'm so sorry you're having such a bad day. You knew this might happen with the increase though - it's nothing abnormal and nothing you can't handle!! The brain fog will pass & your mood will lift. If you have to stay on your sofa for large parts of the day then so be it, no harm done, your brain will thank you for the rest. Just try to do one thing every day to break up the routine & give yourself a bit of purpose xx

Mojo61
04-07-16, 20:47
Aww, thank you so much for the reassuring words Suzie