PDA

View Full Version : Weight loss

Fay13
03-07-16, 13:45
Hi,

Has anyone else experienced unexplained weight loss due to anxiety? I don't own any scales so have no idea what I weigh, and if I did I wouldn't know what it was compared to, say, a year ago but I've felt like I've been getting smaller. About a year ago I had a pair of UK size 8 trousers that I could barely fasten but today I tried them on (to see whether I was really losing weight or if it was in my head) and not only could I do them up, they were hanging off me, with so much extra space around the waist.

I've read some stuff about anxiety causing weight loss, but a lot of it seemed to focus on anxiety causing loss of appetite and therefore weight loss, but I think my appetite is fine, and I eat quite a bit. So I was wondering whether anyone had had weight loss despite eating normally? Obviously I'm getting a bit concerned that there may be a worse cause for it :(

Mojo61
03-07-16, 15:09
Are you eating normally though? Think about it and you'll probably find you are missing meals or cut out certain things, perhaps your portion size has gone down?

I've lost over 2st in weight since November of last year. My appetite has disappeared and even when I do eat now I find I can't manage much, my stomach has shrunk I think. For 2 months I lived on jars of baby food as that's all I could manage to get down me.

Apple86
04-07-16, 17:55
Fay, you most certainly can lose weight from anxiety whilst still eating a regular amount. I'm currently being treated for an eating disorder and I'm going through a period of very heightened anxiety with panic attacks. My treatment for the eating problems had been very productive and I'm eating 2,000 calories a day for the first time in 10 years. My weight was increasing, with treatment, until the anxiety and panics started and now it's dipping again. My therapist says it's because your burn a lot of energy through the physical symptoms - adrenaline production, shaking etc.

It's not what us anxiety sufferers need - another thing to worry about, but rest assured it can and does happen and there's a logical reason to it.

Noivous
04-07-16, 18:05
As both Mojo and Apple have said yes absolutely. At the height of my HA I lost over a stone (yes I know what a stone is) in a week. It can be sudden or subtle in regards to anxiety.

N.

Fay13
04-07-16, 18:05
Thanks, that's good to hear. I thought it might be to do with burning more calories from adrenaline etc but it was still worrying me.

I've booked an appointment with the GP anyway, because I borrowed my housemate's scales and I only weigh 7 stone (I'm 5'4). I've always been on the slim side but that did worry me. Even if it is due to anxiety it can't really be good.

Noivous
04-07-16, 18:13
At least you'll have peace of mind. keep us posted please. You know how we worry:D

Fay13
05-07-16, 11:18
Thanks for all your replies. Saw the Dr this morning and he said that although there was nothing noticeable from the physical exam he did, but he is sending me for a blood test this week to be on the safe side. Annoyingly, the blood test is at one of those clinics where you can't book an appointment, you just have to show up and wait for however long it takes (an absolute nightmare me for me, but oh well).

Worried_Male
05-07-16, 12:35
As both Mojo and Apple have said yes absolutely. At the height of my HA I lost over a stone (yes I know what a stone is) in a week. It can be sudden or subtle in regards to anxiety.

N.

I've lost 7lbs in the last 7-10 days. Gobsmacked when I stepped on the scales today.

Thinking about it though I haven't been eating well recently at all. Add the upset stomach I had due to antibiotics into the mix as well and it all makes sense.