PDA

View Full Version : Dry eyes through anxiety?

Hopeyet
04-07-16, 11:50
Hi,

Does anyone know if anxiety can cause dry, tired eyes?

I've had this sensation for about a month now. My eyes permanently feel like they're at the end of an 18 hour day! I have dryness right the way round my eye sockets on both sides.

I also have a persistent feeling of tension in my face around my eyes. That, I know, can be anxiety and I wondered if the dry eyes could be an extension of that somehow - maybe creating more pressure on the eye or something.

I'm sleeping reasonably well, getting plenty of water and I've had a recent eye test. Of course, this has now set off my health anxiety, because like most innocuous conditions, it can be a sign of something more serious! I really miss the days when I could just have a cold or a chest infection or something without immediately assuming they it was the onset of a life-threatening condition. :emot-rolleyes:

Bearinmind
04-07-16, 15:17
I had that some days. Feeling of dry eyes. Not only that, but changes in vision typical of dry tired eyes as well, like increased halos and starburst, pressure pain on the eyes and so on. Curiously, I had increased lower head tension with it as well, maybe it's something related to TMJ caused by stress?

Anxiety can make your glandular system all fuzzy and weird, I wouldn't be surprised if it messed up the way the lacrimal glands normally work.

Using electronic displays too much and getting your face under constant wind can cause that as well.