PDA

View Full Version : Phobia about taking meds

Beckybecks
04-07-16, 12:44
Hi, I have a phobia about taking meds. I have a lot of anxiety at the moment and its caused bad IBS symptoms. The doctor gave me Mebeverine to take. Last time I took it was about six months ago. I've been putting off taking it this time around for no other reason than that it causes a lot of panic when I take any meds.

Anyway my pains have got too bad now and I decided I have to take it. Which I have. But I'm now in such a panic, which is making my pain worse.....

I tried the chat room hoping I could chat to someone to help bring my panic down. But unfortunately there's nobody there.

I'm all alone which is hard when I'm in panic mode

Mojo61
04-07-16, 13:23
Hey Becks! How are you feeling now?

Beckybecks
04-07-16, 13:35
Thank you for the reply. I'm much better now. It's nearly an hour since I took the meds so I know now that I'm safe!
What has really helped me is replying to other people's posts on the forum. It took my mind off my own panic.

kiiing
04-07-16, 20:45
Thank you for the reply. I'm much better now. It's nearly an hour since I took the meds so I know now that I'm safe!
What has really helped me is replying to other people's posts on the forum. It took my mind off my own panic.

i get major anxiety when it comes to taking meds
(found out the hard way about med allergies...penicillin allergy 3 days with crazy hives all over my body)
but the more i think about it, the meds are there to help.. not make things worse
if you've taken the med before and nothing happen the likely hood of it causing harm is slim to none

Beckybecks
04-07-16, 21:14
i get major anxiety when it comes to taking meds
(found out the hard way about med allergies...penicillin allergy 3 days with crazy hives all over my body)
but the more i think about it, the meds are there to help.. not make things worse
if you've taken the med before and nothing happen the likely hood of it causing harm is slim to none

Awful to have a reaction like that and understandable that you should have some anxiety when taking meds.
I've never had a bad reaction to anything so I have no excuse.
You're so right, the meds are there to help. And with all the research put in they are mostly safe.
But then they go and list all those possible side effects.......:scared15:

kiiing
04-07-16, 21:28
Awful to have a reaction like that and understandable that you should have some anxiety when taking meds.
I've never had a bad reaction to anything so I have no excuse.
You're so right, the meds are there to help. And with all the research put in they are mostly safe.
But then they go and list all those possible side effects.......:scared15:

i would research about the med
research some more, search about the side effects, read reviews, focus on the bad reviews and then anxiety kicks in....sound familiar? lol

no med in this world comes without some type of side effect
also keep in mind its by law the fda has to warn about potential side effects.... well here in the states anyway
even if 1 person out of 1000 tested had some crazy side effect

or you can look at it like Schrödinger's cat, you wont know until you open the box
in your situation you wont know until you take it and if it doesnt work you can easily talk to the doc and im 100% sure youll be advised to stop it and try something else