PDA

View Full Version : Blood?

halfwayhome
18-03-07, 09:26
I've already talked about this in the health anxiety place, but I wanted to quickly cover it again here..

For a long time now (over a year), I've had tiny amounts of blood in my right nostril. I mean, TINY. Like, if I blow my nose, I might notice a trace of it, or when my nose is particularily stuffed, maybe some dry blood. But, I never really worried about it until I woke up the other morning with a cold or a sinus thing or something.
I was feeling really awful and had a lot of phleghm. I worked very hard to cough it up (it was tough!) and when I did, I noticed another very small amount of blood in my phleghm. I immediately freaked out and my thoughts zoomed right to nasal cancer. I know how rare it is, but it scared me.
I know I should see a doctor, but before I do that, I just need to feel like they're not going to tell me how I'm dying. I know it probably sounds like a big deal over nothing, but..
I've had doctors look in my nose quite a few times since this happened, and no one has ever said anything.. I once mentioned the tiny amounts of blood to my doctor and he said 'allergies' and that was that. But, I'm still scared.

boy
18-03-07, 14:07
I always have little bits of blood when I blow my nose and when I have a cold I'll always have more than a little bit of blood in my phlegm, which I've had forever and never thought about. Hope that helps.

Copsgrl8
18-03-07, 16:03
I when I get a cold this sometimes happen to me also. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

rb1978
02-04-07, 20:29
I get this all the time and had just the same reaction as you - this must be nasal cancer nevermind how rare it is - which led me to come on here and search for 'sinus' and 'blood'! I've been freaking out about it for a bit now and am so relieved to find this post. Really thought I was the only one with this. As long as I can remember I've had bits of blood when I blow my nose - only recently have I started picking up on this and worrying and worrying.... And then you start paying attention to it and noticing it even more.

I've had sinus problems for a bit and my doctor checked up my nose a few months ago (I never mentioned the blood to her because I hadn't really remarked on it but I was having it back then when she checked)...and there was nothing abnormal. If anything, she said rhinitis or oversensitive sinuses.

Also apparently stress can affect the nasal lining and all the deliciate blood vessels....it's a big factor in nosebleeds according to people I've spoken to so it could be connected to small amounts of blood...?

RLR
02-04-07, 22:23
Nasal Cancer?? Quite rare indeed and not a consideration here. There are many causes of mild epistaxis, or nose-bleed, not the least of which is due to dry and irriated nasal turbines. You have to realize that the vasculature of the nose is overun with vessels and capillaries and within the nasal architecture, they reside very close to the outer mucous membranes. It only takes slight insult in some cases to produce conditions necessary for a bleed to occur. While 12 months is somewhat on the outset for a condition like this, it is not altogether uncommon because there is little time and place where the turbines can rest from their work. Thus, it takes very careful and religious attention to the problem in order to obtain improvement.

The use of nasal salines, together with a humidifier, can often bring relief and allow the irritated areas to heal. I would suggest use of these products for a period of 3 to 4 weeks to see if improvement is observed. If you continue to have problems, then it's merely worth a look by your otolaryngologist to make certain things are on the mend.

Nasal cancer would be the last of differentials on my list. You'll be fine.