PDA

View Full Version : Doxepin or Silenor for sleep

Mugs
06-07-16, 00:05
Hi
Is anyone taking or has anyone tried taking Doxepin or Silenor for sleep?
If so how did it work?
Thanks
Mugs

Shazamataz
06-07-16, 00:38
I've never heard of this one and wonder why it's never been suggested to me. Maybe it has harsh side effects?

Mugs
06-07-16, 02:25
It is used at higher doses for depression and anxiety. It is a tricyclic.

WiseMonkey
06-07-16, 02:28
Doxepin is good for sleep at a low dose of 10mgs. Amitriptyline and Doxepin are used a lot in people who have autoimmune conditions.
It is a drug that has been around since the 1960's.

Mugs
06-07-16, 05:57
Is Silenor used in the UK?

Mugs
09-07-16, 21:12
Bump

Mojo61
09-07-16, 21:56
Never heard of it in the UK Mugs :huh:

Mugs
10-07-16, 06:39
Thanks.
It is really low dose doxepin.
Is doxepin used in the UK?

MyNameIsTerry
10-07-16, 06:58
Thanks.
It is really low dose doxepin.
Is doxepin used in the UK?

Just posted on your other thread, Mugs.

Licenced for depression under the brand name Sinepin over here.

---------- Post added at 06:58 ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 ----------

I've never heard of this one and wonder why it's never been suggested to me. Maybe it has harsh side effects?

Side effects are here if you want a look?

https://www.drugs.com/uk/sinepin-capsules-25mg-spc-10608.html

I can see mention of it being considered a Hypnotic and for insomnia, but not over here. It is approved (or has been in the past, not checked beyond this aged doc) by the FDA in the US for insomnia.

http://www.ukmi.nhs.uk/applications/ndo/record_view_open.asp?newDrugID=3250

Mojo61
10-07-16, 08:59
Oh thanks Terry, I've never heard of it before. I looked it up and apparently it is non narcotic and non addictive so I wonder why it's not prescribed more routinely for insomnia? Would it be contraindicated with SSRI's I wonder?

MyNameIsTerry
10-07-16, 10:11
Oh thanks Terry, I've never heard of it before. I looked it up and apparently it is non narcotic and non addictive so I wonder why it's not prescribed more routinely for insomnia? Would it be contraindicated with SSRI's I wonder?

It's classed as a trycyclic antidepressant so it would contraindicated with others. It isn't licenced in the UK beyond depression but they doesn't mean it can't be prescribed off label.

Off labeling is more for psychiatrists with these meds though.

It's pretty cheap at around under £4 per 28 days of 25mg and under £6 per 28 days of 50mg but the dose can be up to 300mg a day in split doses which would add up. Using it for insomnia would surely mean less but used at bedtime so may not be that much? I guess that would mean checking on how the US use it which it looks like Mugs understands from her own countries use of it.

Mugs
11-07-16, 01:41
Hi
I will take my first dose tonight, please wish me luck, please.

Silenor, as it is called here, comes in 3 and 6 mg tabs and is used for insomnia. It may not put you to sleep but supposed to help you to stay asleep.
Appoved here for insomnia in 2010.
Thanks everyone.
Mugs

---------- Post added at 00:41 ---------- Previous post was at 00:39 ----------

Hi
It is such a low dose that it would not likely be contraindicated with other meds like SSRIs but worth considering.
I'm taking it with trazodone which is a SARI.

MyNameIsTerry
11-07-16, 05:02
It is such a low dose that it would not likely be contraindicated with other meds like SSRIs but worth considering.
I'm taking it with trazodone which is a SARI.

Any dose is contraindicated between antidepressants that mean a therapeutic duplication but I think you are right that at such a low level, it may be low risk but I guess it's one for the psychiatrists. If you took, sat Citalopram with Silenor, it gives you the same risks with Serotonin Syndrome as taking two SSRI's but there are many people on here taking combinations of meds that carry that same warning. It's certainly carrying the same warning between the meds you are on, so that's hopeful for others.

One consideration from what I can tell with TCA's is that Fluoxetine & Paroxetine actually inhibit them, so that could be a factor. Again though, if that's a really low dosage, perhaps they can work around it?