PDA

View Full Version : Sectioned under the mental health act.

shea
06-07-16, 15:36
I have been sectioned. Twice. And its a blooming scary time. But, the thoughts of it are actually much more scary than the actual event. There are so many misconceptions and rumours surrounding what happens in a mental health unit. I have written a couple of blog pieces (link in my signature), detailing my time at the hospital.

Im happy to speak to anyone or answer any questions if anyone is worried about being sectioned, or voluntary or involuntary admission to a mental health unit.x

Noivous
06-07-16, 15:45
We have sectioning here but it's generally requested by family and for heroin addicts. And it actually has led to recovery. But I take your point.

N.

MyNameIsTerry
07-07-16, 05:43
Got this off your link about you getting out after the new support worker:

It is pitiful really. Such a small small walk. Literally about a minute each way at a normal pace. But mentally, it is a huge leap forward, and one I hope to continue to build on

I know what you mean, it's nothing compared to what normal people are doing everyday that we should be able to do. BUT you faced fear and braved through it. The context doesn't matter as much as you having the courage to keep going - that shows the feat.

And you should rightly be proud. It's all micro steps, as my therapist taught me, and this was one of the most important things I learnt from therapy. My previous years in my career had seen me have training on goal setting & management so this made sense that we have to be reasonable in our goals or we create barriers to entry and create a big scary task to face. Doing it bit by bit gets you moving and you gain momentum so the goals get bigger.

So, no, it's not pitiful really - it's massive. It's the first stones of the rockslide! You keep increasing the walks and also you introduced variation, which is good to see, because it's also easy to take a healthy practice or goal and turn it into another trap where you stay within certain strict barriers. I'll fallen foul of that one many times so it's good to see how you sussed that one out quickly.

Well done. :yesyes::yahoo:

---------- Post added at 05:43 ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 ----------

We have sectioning here but it's generally requested by family and for heroin addicts. And it actually has led to recovery. But I take your point.

N.

It can be a bit of a gamble over here. I always think of two long term members I've met. One said it was peaceful & calm so helped her, the other said it was totally wrong for anxiety and staff were being assaulted all the time. The latter is perhaps the old fashioned units where you could be in with all sorts of people. I hope the former is how it will end up, peaceful places. The OP's sounds like the better places.

We used to have other ones too in the community. These were aimed at keeping people out of hospitals and getting them back into the community quicker. These have been losing their government funding for a long time. I used to go to charity walk-in's and the charity borrowed one of their rooms but all the stay over rooms were gone decades ago. It's a great shame.